lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2021, 02:37 PM   #1
geckert10833
Not Yet Wild

Default YDRE Cart repeatedly blowing 20A Charger Fuse

My 2007 48v YDRE (4 x 12v) cart is making the charging process difficult --
So far brand new batteries, new 48V charger with 2-pin connector and no success. Everytime I plug-in the 2-pin male charger receptacle into the cart's charger receiver, it arcs ... smokes, and melts a bit of the two prongs and instantly blows protective 20A fuse in the 48V charger. I'm thinking the YDRE's onboard computer/module is the problem.... thoughts? (BTW, the previous owner's 48V charger was no longer working ... I suspect the YDRE fried its innards). Thanks
geckert10833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2021, 06:08 PM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: YDRE Cart repeatedly blowing 20A Charger Fuse

Your 2007 ydre should have a 3 pin receiver for a 3 pin connector...? A 2 pin won't work.
ojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:32 AM   #3
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Actually a 2 pin connecter will work just fine.
An arc like that is telling you that you either have the wiring reversed or a dead short possibly in the charger or the battery wiring.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:00 AM   #4
geckert10833
Not Yet Wild

Regarding wiring this is how it currently is: From the charger receiver... the wiring is red wire (+) to the + post on the battery. And the black wire (-) to the - post on the battery. I can't imagine the logic of reversing that...?

The wire setup for the 4-battery to the cart is according to the schematic and the golf cart works quite fine... and the batteries are at full charge using an "automobile battery charger."
Old 08-10-2021, 09:03 AM   #5
geckert10833
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
Your 2007 ydre should have a 3 pin receiver for a 3 pin connector...? A 2 pin won't work.
The golf cart charger receptacle looks like it was modified at factory or dealership to receive a 2 prong receptacle... there is a third wire (black) that was disengaged from the modified arrangement and that wire disappears into the underchassis. The previous owner had used the 2-prong receptacle charger in the past.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:52 AM   #6
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Both the three pin and two pin charger should work fine...the little black wire you are talking about is for the three pin charger to not allow the cart to run when charger is plugged in, but it is not needed for the two prong to work...It is possible the two wires in the charger handle are reversed...for instance the wires for a AGM Yamaha are opposite of the Drive charger...your best bet would be to take handle of charger apart and make sure positive is lining up with charger receptacle positive and vice versa for negative...of course unplug from wall before doing so...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 05:21 AM   #7
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
It is possible the two wires in the charger handle are reversed...for instance the wires for a AGM Yamaha are opposite of the Drive charger...your best bet would be to take handle of charger apart and make sure positive is lining up with charger receptacle positive and vice versa for negative...of course unplug from wall before doing so...
I had a customer bring a charger for repair without telling me that he had tried to fix it first. Sure enough he reversed the pins in the DC plug. It made for some exciting moments.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:14 AM   #8
geckert10833
Not Yet Wild

Stay tuned... I will "triply check" the plugs and wiring on the charger plug wiring (next update Aug. 16).
Old 08-15-2021, 10:51 AM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sounds like possible reversed connections!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:43 AM   #10
geckert10833
Not Yet Wild

Sept 01 - Update. OK, so I triply checked the wiring and everything is in order. The "new" charger wand was also disassembled and checked ... the brown wire is correctly positioned in the positive position, and the blue wire is negative. And the probes of the charger wand are correctly wired and match the + / - orientation of the receiver plug.

For the receiver plug, the red wire is configured to the + on the battery post, and the black (blue) connects to the - post.

The battery wiring of the 4 x 12v (48v total) matches that as specified in the golf cart diagram, and the cart itself works perfectly.

The sparking/arcing continues even if the charger isn't plugged in, and blows its protective 30A fuse everytime.

So I'm thinking, it's gotta be with the golf cart motor CPU (sending too much signal back to the charger)?...

Tags
blow, computer, fuse
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha