lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2022, 10:50 AM   #1
hot-shot
Gone Wild

Default 2007 Club car Precedent

I have a 2007 club car Precedent. It charges to about 57.5 volts then is fully charged and shuts off. All seems well. I took it for a drive to check the voltage while driving. It starts out at around 50.5 as I drive around the neighborhood it will go as low as 43.7. There are some hills. When I return home and re-charge it the charger will kick on and sometimes shut off when the cart isn’t fully charged? The batteries are US batteries about a year old. Any idea as to why the charger sometimes shuts off? Thanks
hot-shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2022, 10:56 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 2007 Club car Precedent

It’s not being fully charged. Either the OBC or charger is not working like it should.

Normally should charge to 62-64v while in the finishing phase. Yours isn’t getting there.

Unless it’s lithium. Which yours isn’t. :) even then mine tops at I believe 58.8 which is still higher than what you’re seeing
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:37 AM   #3
hot-shot
Gone Wild

I just checked all of the batteries with a hydrometer. Most appear to to be in the grey or failed area.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:47 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-shot View Post
I just checked all of the batteries with a hydrometer. Most appear to to be in the grey or failed area.

Hydrometer tests the state of charge of the battery. You’re not fully charging the battery so this test really isn’t going to tell you anything useful. The batteries are a good brand and only a year old, while one battery failing wouldn’t be out of the question, all 6 is highly unlikely.

Also given that your charger is only going to 57 volts, it’s not fully charging them to begin with.

In short your problem is not the batteries. It’s the charging system. Borrow another PD charger if you can and try to charge. Monitor the voltage as it charges. It should get up to 62-64v. If it does then your charger is bad.

If it still tops out around 57v then your OBC is not doing it’s job. I suspect this will be the issue
Old 05-02-2022, 12:22 PM   #5
hot-shot
Gone Wild

Great advice! What do you think about a Summit charger and eliminate the OBC? Thanks for your help
Old 05-02-2022, 12:36 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-shot View Post
Great advice! What do you think about a Summit charger and eliminate the OBC? Thanks for your help
A new OBC isn’t much less expensive than a new charger. Probably pretty close to the same price so most people opt for a smart charger.

Certain batteries need a certain charging profile for them to charge properly and fully. I believe us batteries is one of those (and I’m sure someone smarter than myself will correct me if I’m wrong ) the advantage to one of the newer chargers is that it allows you to select different charging profiles to match the battery set in the cart. You’ll obviously need to bypass the OBC if you go that route as well but there’s plenty of info here how to do that :)
Old 05-02-2022, 07:31 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

What charger do you have?
If you're using a PowerDrive 3 charger you should be seeing closer to 65v before it stops charging.
That's generally a sign that the OBC is bad, but could just be from a corroded or damaged charge receptacle, or corroded positive charge wire. I would check those closely first before replacing the OBC or changing to a smart charger.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:11 AM   #8
hot-shot
Gone Wild

The charger that I have is a Club car I Q. Plus. Thanks
Old 05-04-2022, 12:00 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You likely have the wrong charger. Does it have a model number on it? Kinda need to know for sure what it is.
What battery pack does your cart have? 4x12v or 6x8v?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:28 AM   #10
hot-shot
Gone Wild

Sorry for the slow response time. I have been gone. The model of the charger is a 25730 made by Lester. Thanks for the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car