lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
yankee dog
Not Yet Wild

Default "Normal" Compression?

Will be picking up a used 1992 Club Car. Pending a final inspection and compression check. Would like to know what is considered the normal compression on the Fe290.

I don't expect like new specs on this 1992, but, will pass on it if the motor is whipped.

Any other tips when inspecting this cart? Certian things to look out for? I know my way around an engine, just new to the Kawasaki engine and this cart. Thanks, YD
yankee dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
yankee dog
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: "Normal" Compression?

Well, to answer my own question, from a generic small engine stand point, I am finding a "new" engine should be right around 150 to 160. An engine that has been used (but not used up) around 120 to 140.

Anything below that would be time for a rebuild but may run OK for awhile longer.

This info was from various sites and info I found while googling. I tried to focus my search on smaller engines.

Interestingly enough, I was able to download a Pdf file of the Fe290 engine manual, and it states "42 psi for the recoil starter and 57 psi for the electric start version". (Those are the minimum values) So now, even more confusion:

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/engine_s...ompression.asp

If anyone has any real info specific to the fe290, I'm all ears. YD
yankee dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
kimmer71
Getting Wild

Club Car

Question Re: "Normal" Compression?

I'm very surprised no responded with some compression figures. I just ran a check on a FE290 and its right at 95psi. I'm on here trying to find the same answer.
kimmer71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
Deans
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: "Normal" Compression?

Normal compression readings for both the FE-290 and Fe-350 are quoted below... Note the 290 and 350 pedal start engines do not have an automatic compression relief valve (ACR) and should have a higher normal compression when performing the test. If it is a key start engine it could just be a bad ACR and not rings or exhaust valves. Your judgement (and wallet) will have to determine the break-even point on whether or not to re-build; i.e. it doesn't have enough power to pull cart and rider(s).

FE-290 Engine
"GENERAL INFORMATION
Prior to attempting time-consuming repairs to the cylinder assembly, a cylinder compression test should be performed using a standard compression tester. Low compression would normally indicate a problem in the cylinder assembly such as defective rings, gaskets, etc. At a cranking speed of 550-600 rpm, the compression should be typically 156 psi. This value could vary slightly depending on wear of components affecting compression."

FE-350 Engine
"GENERAL INFORMATION
Prior to attempting time-consuming repairs to the cylinder assembly, a cylinder compression test should be performed using a standard compression tester. Low compression would normally indicate a problem in the
cylinder assembly such as defective rings, gaskets, etc.
• Key-Start Engines: These FE350 model engines are equipped with an automatic compression release valve (ACR). This valve releases compression pressure at normal cranking RPM, resulting in lower compression. At a normal cranking speed of 550 - 600 RPM, the compression should be typically
71 psi. This value could vary slightly depending on wear of components affecting compression. See Automatic Compression Release Valve (ACR) Inspection on page 3-22.
• Pedal-Start Engines: These FE350 model engines are not equipped with automatic compression release valves (ACR). At a normal cranking speed of 550 - 600 RPM, the compression should be typically 156 psi. This value could vary slightly depending on wear of components affecting compression."
Deans is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car