lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
Forrest A
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default electric to gas conversion

I have a 1981 Club Car electric I want to install a gas motor into. I find little about the transaxles as far as the differences between the gas and electic. I found some limited pictures. From what I can see the gas axle looks like the electric with some sort of gear box mounted where the electric motor was. I am looking for info from anyone who has adpted an electric axle to gas before and knows what is best. I plan on using the shaft from the old electric motor and fabing a standoff plate with a bearing to support the outboad end. The motor will be on a plate in front of the axle and will be floating on the front side. This is in the idea state yet and have not fabbed anything yet. Any help or pictures of otherpeoples mods would be great.

Thanks
Forrest
Forrest A is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-17-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: electric to gas conversion

It CAN be done, but you'll be money ahead by buying a used gas cart. There is alot of expense in this project that can and will bite you in the long run...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Forrest A
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It is very strange that there aren't any websites showing golf cart drive train mods... I can do this swap but would like to see what others have done to keep from wasting time. I have everything as far as parts and tooling. The videos on YouTube are an inspiration but are of little use for spawning ideas on how they were fabbed. I have a couple goals set for the build. The cart must look stock when finished. The engine must be quiet enough so no red flags go up when pulling it off the trailer. Anybody should be able to drive it.

Seeing as there is just nothing out there I will post pictures and such as I get some work done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010195.jpg (97.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg P1010227.jpg (108.1 KB, 18 views)
Forrest A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Xtreme did one a while back but used a gas rear end, link:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lifte...ctric+gas.hyml

The only other comments I remember that made any sense was on Cindylynn thead, believe it or not (the thread is hilarious). FRom Sickboy:

Alot of funny stuff here. To answer the original question...Yes!.It can be swapped over to gas . An 8hp engine will be more than enough. Before everyone gets crazy on me for that reply, it depends on your final drive. Use a comet 40 series torque converter from the engine to a jack shaft. Connect the jack shaft to a 1'' or larger rear axle with a large sprocket (54 tooth or more) with a 40 or 41 series chain. It sounds more difficult than it actually is. You can also lock the driven side of the Comet 40 torque converter to keep the belt in the top position for more power. I have done this to off-road go-karts and it will surprise you. I have one set up like that right now with a 5.5hp motor. When my daughter and I ride in it we have a combined weight of about 360lbs plus the weight of the kart (@190lbs) and can GPS speed at 28mph. It also will climb just about everything we can throw at it.

Here's the link:http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-g...tric-cart.html
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, gas
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car