lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2014, 03:26 PM   #11
Merlinhaggard
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Couple of wiring questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag50 View Post
Sergio---He's running 2 threads on this rat nest wiring.
Thank you for noting that. Sergio has helped me a couple of times and I really appreciate his help. As far as rats nest. I removed all of the zip ties and separated everything so it would be visible.

I am new to this forum and have had trouble figuring some things out.

I also restore cars and have been a member of at least 10 forums. Like them there are members who try to help, like Sergio, and others who troll around talking trash.

Do you have any help to offer? On my other forums, I try to help new guys..

One way you could help, is tell me how to remove a thread. Ive read all of the forum rules etc and cant find it.
Merlinhaggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #12
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

I don't know enough about IQ carts to help you. I was just trying to get everyone on the same page. Often people work on problems from different directions and it becomes more confusing. I'm sure you'll get the help you need from this forum. There's a lot of sharp guys here (Sergio is one of them), but the end result will come faster using one thread.
tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #13
Merlinhaggard
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag50 View Post
I don't know enough about IQ carts to help you. I was just trying to get everyone on the same page. Often people work on problems from different directions and it becomes more confusing. I'm sure you'll get the help you need from this forum. There's a lot of sharp guys here (Sergio is one of them), but the end result will come faster using one thread.
I appreciate that. I wish I knew how to delete a thread. I think my first thread was asking so many questions that it was too much to ask. So I started another trying to break my questions apart. Im learning a lot and know I will get there. Just takes some learning. Thanks...
Old 11-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #14
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

In the club cars equipped with an OBC, the OBC controls the entire charging process, from turning the charger on/off to regulating the current.

The direction of current in and out of the OBC is important. The 2 black wires coming out of the OBC are terminated different, but now that they are cut, it is a little harder to tell them apart.

It looks like from your picture that the shorter 10ga black wire goes to the charger socket and the long one goes to the Controller B-.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:34 PM   #15
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

To left (under your member information) there's a yellow triangle. Click on that and it flags a moderator to take a look at the post. Usually it's used for spam or the occasional food fight but it probably will work for your deletion. Sorry I didn't include that in my last post.
tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #16
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Ok I've looked at your pics and read your private messages. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I've been deer hunting and haven't thought about golf cars. You mentioned that you are interested in removing the onboard computer. All you have to do is locate the six pin connector behind the OBC, unplug it, and permanently jump the red wire to the blue wire on the vehicle wire harness. This will allow the electrical system to operate without an OBC. Next, you'll need a way to charge it. Because you no longer have an OBC, you no longer have a way for your cart to communicate with your Club Car charger. Call Scottyb (A site sponsor, Carts Unlimited) and tell him you would like to order the DPI charger for a 48V Club Car that is not equipped with an OBC. It's a better charger than the OEM unit and will serve your needs just fine. You'll then need to clean up the wiring behind the charger receptacle. A solid black wire from the negative pin in the receptacle is necessary. It will need to run to the B- post of the controller. The grey wire can be cut loose from the back of the receptacle as it is no longer needed. The red wire can stay in place without changing anything. It should go to the Positive post of battery #1 (Battery 1 being the most positive, Battery 4 being the most negative in the series). As for your pictures, why is there a red wire on the B+ post of your controller? It appears to have been cut. There should have never been a wire here. Look at the solenoid and you'll see a 10 gauge yellow wire running from each of the large terminals. They appear to have been cut, both of them. This isn't good. There needs to be a Pre-Charge resistor (OEM #102522701) between these two posts. It helps to keep the controller capacitors charged up at all times. Without it, a sudden burst of power from the solenoid closing can damage the controller.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #17
Merlinhaggard
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Ok I've looked at your pics and read your private messages. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I've been deer hunting and haven't thought about golf cars. You mentioned that you are interested in removing the onboard computer. All you have to do is locate the six pin connector behind the OBC, unplug it, and permanently jump the red wire to the blue wire on the vehicle wire harness. This will allow the electrical system to operate without an OBC. Next, you'll need a way to charge it. Because you no longer have an OBC, you no longer have a way for your cart to communicate with your Club Car charger. Call Scottyb (A site sponsor, Carts Unlimited) and tell him you would like to order the DPI charger for a 48V Club Car that is not equipped with an OBC. It's a better charger than the OEM unit and will serve your needs just fine. You'll then need to clean up the wiring behind the charger receptacle. A solid black wire from the negative pin in the receptacle is necessary. It will need to run to the B- post of the controller. The grey wire can be cut loose from the back of the receptacle as it is no longer needed. The red wire can stay in place without changing anything. It should go to the Positive post of battery #1 (Battery 1 being the most positive, Battery 4 being the most negative in the series). As for your pictures, why is there a red wire on the B+ post of your controller? It appears to have been cut. There should have never been a wire here. Look at the solenoid and you'll see a 10 gauge yellow wire running from each of the large terminals. They appear to have been cut, both of them. This isn't good. There needs to be a Pre-Charge resistor (OEM #102522701) between these two posts. It helps to keep the controller capacitors charged up at all times. Without it, a sudden burst of power from the solenoid closing can damage the controller.

Thank you Sir! I will move forward with the OBC conversion. I got this cart from a guy and dont know why he did what he did. The red on the B+ side of the controller is cut and sealed off. I will eventually redo all of the connectors and whatever wiring I can.

I just bought a pre charge resistor and am waiting for delivery.

I have 3 solenoids. The original I thought was bad. I get 48v to the 2 small wires on the solenoid when the key is turned on and the solenoid doesn't click.

I installed both new solenoids and got the same result. So either the solenoid needs a ground and isnt getting it, or it wont click without the pre charge resistor. Just what Im thinking..

Again, thanks for the reply..
Old 11-30-2014, 05:42 PM   #18
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Eliminate the OBC and repair all the wiring issues and see if it will run.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:45 PM   #19
Merlinhaggard
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Eliminate the OBC and repair all the wiring issues and see if it will run.
I will.

You said, "All you have to do is locate the six pin connector behind the OBC, unplug it, and permanently jump the red wire to the blue wire on the vehicle wire harness."

Since Im removing the OBC, Im assuming you mean the red wire from the top connector, and connecting to the blue in the main harness.

Just want to be sure.

I just ordered the charger from Scotty, looks like he has good prices.

Also if anyone has any thoughts on this.

I have 3 solenoids. The original I thought was bad. I get 48v to the 2 small wires on the solenoid when the key is turned on and the solenoid doesn't click.

I installed both new solenoids and got the same result. So either the solenoid needs a ground and isnt getting it, or it wont click without the pre charge resistor. Just what Im thinking..

Again, thanks for the reply..
Old 11-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #20
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Not trying to get too many voices in here but, you should be able to test the solenoid off the cart. Put 48 volt pos to one small terminal and 48 volt neg to the other. The selonoid should close / snap shut when you do this. Take one or both wires off and it should open / unsnap. While it is closed The two large post should show connected with ohms meter.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car