lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
partsdart
Not Yet Wild

Default 1999 DS Solenoid Drop Out

I am working on a 99 DS with V-glide switch. The cart does not run and the solenoid doesn't click when the pedal is depressed.

I have checked the microswitch in the vglide and is is good.

The solenoid has been replaced, and the controller has been shipped out and tested.

I can get the cart to run in forward by jumping out the solenoid on the passenger side. After jumping it out and creating an arc, the cart will run as long as the pedal is pressed. Once I release the pedal and allow the cart to stop, the solenoid drops out and it will not kick back in without jumping it out.

I can do the same thing reverse. When I depress the pedal and the cart comes to a stop the solenoid drops out and the reverse buzzer starts to fade out (almost like a capacitor draining) and then completely dies.

The only way to get it going again is jump out the solenoid again. It only requires making contact across the two large terminals for a second to engage it. I remove the jumper and quickly press the accelerator and it goes.... wait too long to press the accelerator and it's a no go...... Any ideas?

This is a Regen 2
partsdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: 1999 DS Solenoid Drop Out

Are you getting voltage to the small terminals on the solenoid?

Check the cable ends on all your battery cables.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
partsdart
Not Yet Wild

I am getting 50.9 volt on the small terminals.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:49 PM   #4
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Maybe try bypassing the dynamic braking solenoid? I've had it cause wonky stuff before, mostly moving slow.

Put it on jack stands and with the pedal pressed down for a few moments see if the coil on the driver side solenoid glows red
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:01 PM   #5
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Mine did exactly the same thing. I had done some wiring and got a wire on the wrong side of the solenoid. If yours is like mine look at the solenoid where the large cables connect and see if there is a small wire on one side also. That small wire should be on the same side of the solenoid as the main b+ cable. Sergio caught it on mine and once I moved that small wire to the correct side of the solenoid it worked perfectly.
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:22 PM   #6
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

The OBC is designed to lock out vehicle movement (the controller) while the charger is plugged in. If that "activation circuit" has failed in the OBC- and the cart thinks its plugged into the charger all the time - the controller gets no power to move the cart (see drawing below). You can bypass that function by applying a jumper from pack pos. to the small (10ga.?) yellow wire which leads to pin 6 (I think your doing that with jumping the main solenoid now - but it needs to be continuous). If the cart clicks and works properly when you do that, the OBC is the culprit. Some folks just install the bypass and leave it, rather than replacing the OBC - but that means the cart will pull away when plugged into the charger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg obc.jpg (215.2 KB, 0 views)
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:47 AM   #7
partsdart
Not Yet Wild

I will give the OBC bypass a shot and let you know how it turns out.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:47 AM   #8
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsdart View Post
I will give the OBC bypass a shot and let you know how it turns out.
Did you look at the wire I told you about?
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:39 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

x2 on Bowslayer suggestion.

The yellow wire You are talking about jumping is not the OBC by-pass, it is simply an input signal from pedal switch to wake-up the system if more than 3 days have passed since last turned off .

The OBC powers the entire system on the Blue wire. If You want to remove the OBC from locking up the system, You would need to jump Blue and Red/White on the OBC 6-pin harness connector.

The symptoms that you describing are a perfect fit for having the red/white wire connected to the controller side of the main solenoid big post instead of the battery side.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:19 PM   #10
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

See? All I had to do was identify the wrong wire to bypass the OBC lockout in order to get Sergio to fix me - sorry about that and more importantly - thanks Sergio!
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car