lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #1
B_Alford2
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Battery Terminal melt down

I just had to replace one of my batteries in my club car precedent because one of the battery terminals melted down and the some of the rubber casing to the battery cable ( 2 gauge) that was connected to said terminal had melted a good bit as well. I hated to replace just one battery but i replaced all batteries a year ago so i figured it may not have been that big a deal since they weren't that old. but the only thing i could think of that caused this was that the battery cable got lose and i never noticed it. One of the batteries on the other side also had begun doing the same thing but the battery terminal didnt melt down like the other one, but there was some rubber melted off of the cable. so i replaced the battery and 2 of the 2 gauge cables and thought i was good to go. I use my cart for hunting so i took it out to check trail cameras which i drove it a good bit on some semi rough terrain which included some hills, i get back and check the batteries and the battery terminal that only had the melted cable (not new battery) is staring to melt down just a little bit, so what is causing this, how can I prevent the terminals from melting like this? I hope this makes sense, below is some info on my cart:

2006 Club car precedent 48 volt (4 US 12 volt batteries)
6" lift, 23" tires
500 amp alltrax controller
upgraded solenoid and battery cables (2 gauge)
B_Alford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery Terminal melt down

If it seems to be isolated to just certain battery cables or terminals I would be very suspect of the cable itself as it could have excessive resistance internally which you can't not see unless to take resistance (ohm) readings of just the cable itself. It should show almost 0.0 ohms between ends... Also make sure your connections are clean, bright and shiny. Cable connector to the battery lug with nothing in between the two; a flat or lock washer if used always goes on top as well as any other smaller connections.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:14 AM   #3
B_Alford2
Getting Wild

Club Car

thanks, i will check and make sure there arent any lock washers or anything of that sort between the two, and this cable is a brand new cable so it has no corrosion whatsoever. if the battery terminal is just starting to melt ever so slightly, is this battery save-able. Like if there is a lock washer between the two and i remove it or put it on top will this battery be ok you think?
B_Alford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:22 AM   #4
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Alford2 View Post
thanks, i will check and make sure there arent any lock washers or anything of that sort between the two, and this cable is a brand new cable so it has no corrosion whatsoever. if the battery terminal is just starting to melt ever so slightly, is this battery save-able. Like if there is a lock washer between the two and i remove it or put it on top will this battery be ok you think?
Don't let the words brand new sway your thoughts as even a brand new cable could have a cold solder or bad crimp.

Be sure to check ALL cable connections not only in the battery tray but under that cart as well....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:35 AM   #5
glassk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Often, the bolt portion of this post melts down due to heat and breaks off. The number one cause of this issue is due to loose or corroded connections. No matter how tight you get your connections, they will eventually loosen due to the expansion and contraction which occurs through use. This looseness or corrosion causes resistance and a byproduct of electrical resistance is heat, which leads to melting.

http://www.golfcarcatalog.com/golf-c...ic-golf-carts/
glassk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:35 PM   #6
Az Goin'
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Had this same thing happen today. Melted the terminal bolt right off the battery. I'm sure it was a loose connection that caused it.
New batteries, and cables 2 months old, and I should have retightened them.
Walking home to get some tools, or something to tow it with I got to thinking that I could just put a sheet metal screw in the lead, and clamp the battery cable to it temporarily to get it home.
That did get it home. That connection was warm, but not hot to the touch.
My plan is to put a stud in place of that screw, and replace the cable.
Az Goin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:17 PM   #7
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Snugging up the lugs is a monthly maintenance item on my carts. They always turn a bit.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:35 PM   #8
crash test dummy

Old 01-28-2016, 08:56 PM   #9
Az Goin'
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Thanks for the video. CTD
That pretty much is what I had in mind.
Didn't know how deep I dared go, so that helped a lot.
Az Goin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:35 PM   #10
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you over tighten the studs they eventually become loose in the lead bed. Try wiggling the lugs left to right to see if the stud is loose or the nut is loose. Above all always use a torque wrench to tighten them to manufacturers specs.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car