lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2016, 09:25 PM   #1
RedRooster
Not Yet Wild

Default Jump off and push...

Ok I know this is a question that's been around a while, but mine must be different right?
2003 txt...valves good, comp around 190, new carb, lifted w/22" tires, new plugs,..etc.
Cruising along on flat...riding 4 of us around...no problem...runs great.
10 mins in...starts to smell like its heating up...not oil or gas smell...some will know right away what smell I'm talking about...then try to go up a small incline.
Engine won't rev...cart says nope...3 get off and up I go...not large people either. It stopped and I could not start going again until they got off...and it was still slower than normal. Pulled choke and it didn't help...engine/fuel doesn't seem to be the problem. It bogged down like I was trying to pull a stump out...so don't think the belt is slipping....like I said I couldn't get the engine to rev.
Before I got dropping cash on clutches...is there a way to function check the ezgo clutches ? They look like they are in good shape, not worn, and in neutral look like they are working fine...I'm no expert so I don't know if what I'm seeing is normal.
Sorry for the long winded post, but I did a bunch of searching and tried to answer some questions before they were asked. I tried to find videos of clutches working, but not much out there.
Anyone have any ideas? Much appreciated.

Red
RedRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2016, 08:01 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Jump off and push...

If you were driving a stick shift truck, and forgot to down shift, do you think it would feel the same way? Like oh crap, I need to drop down into first gear to climb this hill?

If so, I would say that it sounds like your driven clutch is opening up to give you speed, but then sticking open when you need torque. It's not down shifting for you.

A good spray lube might be what it needs. Let me see if I can find a video.

Edit: This is a good video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuJIW-zhMJ0

See how the drive clutch squeezes together, and the belt rides all the way up while the driven clutch opens up, and the belt drops all the way down. That's how it shifts gears.

Does it smell like the belt is burning? It should be 1 3/16" wide.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:30 AM   #3
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

The plastic slides https://www.cartpartsplus.com/golf-c...-clutch-slides need to be replaced every 2-3 years. if you havent been in there........ its needed. No way to examine them without opening up the driven clutch. they may have worn enough that they jumped and you no longer have any preload in the spring. Pretty common problem on a ezgo. BUT cheep easy fix!!

We can also machine your clutch to gain even more torque. You simply remove it and send it to use with your name and phone number. We turn them around in 24 hours and the difference will shock you. We can machine Club Car, EZGO and Yamaha clutches. It will out climb any power kit or workhorse clutch. Here's a review to help explain it a little and the gains. Click the link below to read it.
http://www.cartpartsplus.com/forums/...dit&f=4&p=2094
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:58 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Next time it happens, shut off the cart and try starting again. If it runs normal I would suspect a clutch..

And bbm, 2-3 years ? guess I have been lucky with mine..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #5
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Next time it happens, shut off the cart and try starting again. If it runs normal I would suspect a clutch..

And bbm, 2-3 years ? guess I have been lucky with mine..
All depends on the amount of use and the amount of dirt. I see alot of helix's that are destroyed because the ramps have worn to the screw heads. Not saying they always need replaced, but they are way cheaper than replacing the helix. And a little cleaning and inspection every 2-3 years is not excessive.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:23 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockMan View Post
All depends on the amount of use and the amount of dirt. I see alot of helix's that are destroyed because the ramps have worn to the screw heads. Not saying they always need replaced, but they are way cheaper than replacing the helix. And a little cleaning and inspection every 2-3 years is not excessive.
Fair enough.. Guess I should look at mine.. IF I could get people to let it sit still long enough to do so.. I have a spare so I guess I could rebuild it or better yet send it to get it modified..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #7
RedRooster
Not Yet Wild

it did feel like starting out in 2nd gear...it didn't shudder or make any noise, it just tried to spin, but couldn't get rpm's up...like I was chained to a post.

Big Block...I have owned the cart for almost 5 years...never checked or messed with the clutches since...guessing I have to pull the driven clutch off and disassemble to check the slides? I like cheap and easy...but something tells me its no fun pulling the clutches off.

after I kicked off the passengers I hit the gas and rolled right out....so I guess I already know the answer. Do the clutches get more finicky (sp?) when they get hot and under load I guess? would make sense why when I looked last night they spun and appeared to be doing what they are supposed to...again Im no expert.

Thanks for the replies...time is at a premium lately...I will report back when I find out what works. Thanks again.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:14 PM   #8
RedRooster
Not Yet Wild

Trying to post a pic...there are some wear marks and lots of fine dirt. Nothing looks broken, but the wear marks on the cam (?) surface seem to be a bit concave and grooved.
Attachment 135418
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (129.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-10-2016, 08:15 PM   #9
RedRooster
Not Yet Wild

Still learning about posting pics
image.jpg
Old 05-10-2016, 09:55 PM   #10
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Helix looks fine, ramps have wear but are still useable. Was the spring preloaded?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO