lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2016, 08:47 PM   #1
wayner
Not Yet Wild

Default Solenoid; 36/48v Curtis, SW80 w/Bracket/Resister/Diode

I recently purchased the solenoid in the title. The seller claims the installed resistor on the solenoid coils serves as the pre-charge resistor. My understanding is the pre-charge resistors goes between the two main contacts of the solenoid.

What is the purpose of the resistor and diode in series between the positive and negative terminals of the coil?

2000 48 volt Club car DS with Curtis 1204 controller
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2016, 10:35 PM   #2
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Solenoid; 36/48v Curtis, SW80 w/Bracket/Resister/Diode

The resistor and the diode DON"T connect in series.

The resistor ONLY connects between the large posts of the solenoid.

The diode ONLY connects to the small posts, keeping the banded end of the diode connected to the side post that the positive wire is on.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:36 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW - Wayner.
I think you mean to ask about the spike arresting diode placed between the + and - of the activation coil.

There exists spike of excess voltage generated when the solenoid is dis-engaged. This voltage must be arrested lest it runs back up the lines and damages virtually anything connected to the system including the speed control. The 3 amp 1000 volt diode safely clamps this energy
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:04 AM   #4
wayner
Not Yet Wild

The SW80-1970 36/48v Curtis solenoid comes with the diode and resistor soldered in series across the positive and negative terminals of the coil. The seller told me there was no need for the pre-charge resistor across the main terminal's of the solenoid. I don't see how the resistor/diode across the coil leads would serve as the pre-charge resistor.

I would post a link but I am too new to post links. At this point I probably we de-solder the diode/resistor and install a 470 Ohm Pre-charge resistor across the main terminals and a 3amp diode between the positive and negative terminals of the coil.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
The SW80-1970 36/48v Curtis solenoid comes with the diode and resistor soldered in series across the positive and negative terminals of the coil. The seller told me there was no need for the pre-charge resistor across the main terminal's of the solenoid. I don't see how the resistor/diode across the coil leads would serve as the pre-charge resistor.

I would post a link but I am too new to post links. At this point I probably we de-solder the diode/resistor and install a 470 Ohm Pre-charge resistor across the main terminals and a 3amp diode between the positive and negative terminals of the coil.
The seller may or may not be correct. The pre-charge resistor is needed with certain controllers and not needed with others. What speed controller are you running on your cart?
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:13 PM   #6
wayner
Not Yet Wild

Curtis 1205M-5601 500 AMP
Old 08-17-2016, 01:34 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

That's a series controller. You need to use the Pre-Charge resistor with this controller.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #8
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

250 ohm 5w per reference- http://www.fsip.biz/Documents/1204_05.pdf

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The seller is mistaken about the reason for the resistor+diode on the coil suppression circuit.

You can order the Albright Solenoids with that configuration when you need a fast "disconnect" of the solenoid contacts.

While the flyback diode by itself provides a "path" for the solenoid coil current to circulate when the circuit is first de-energized, that also keeps the coil energized for a few milliseconds after the circuit is turned OFF.

Without any diodes the Contacts on a SW80 drop OFF in 5msec, with the diode it takes 50msec.

Albright has different resistor value options to set the drop-off time from 8-20msec according to their data-sheet.

Either setup, diode alone or diode+resistor work the same on a golf cart.

Keep in mind that having the suppression circuit factory installed makes the coil terminals have polarity.

The positive activation wire needs to go on the terminal that has the cathode or diode side with the white/silver band.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:15 PM   #10
wayner
Not Yet Wild

Sergio,
Thanks, I figured it was something like that. I had put a 250 OHM 3 watt pre-charge resistor on it. I replaced the motor and my solenoid after I started having the cart quit occasionally and the motor started making a grinding noise. I was going to replace the brushes but after taking the motor apart I noticed the armature had metal floating around inside it.

Two weeks later my 12 year old 1204 Curtis controller fried all the capacitors. So I am replacing it with a 1205M-5501. That's when I started to question if the solenoid needed the pre-charge resistor or the factory diode/resistor was all that was needed..

I put the AMD Bad Boy torque/ speed motor in it. Torque was down from the previous motor on takeoff but speed was up. I hope the 500 AMP controller will fix the torque issue. I already have 4guage welding cables installed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car