lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2016, 03:26 PM   #1
knight314
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart cranks and sputters but wont run

I have a 1988 marathon ez go gas golf cart that I just recently bought. The cart is able to sputter and run for a second with a shot of carb cleaner into the carb and the choke all the way engaged. The cart has a new carb that the previous owner put on it along with a new fuel pump. I have taken the carb apart and the jets were perfectly clean but I went ahead and cleaned them anyway. The fuel pump is also new by the previous owner. I thought the problem may have been bad gas but I just mixed new gas and still no running. Finally the motor has almost 125 psi of crankcase pressure. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.
knight314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2016, 03:58 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart cranks and sputters but wont run

125 is really good. Almost too good. Like maybe it was rebuilt, and never ran since good.

Do you think it's possible that the previous owner just rebuilt it? If so, I would suspect that the piston is in backwards.

The way to check is to disconnect the exhaust pipe, and watch the piston move up and down while turning it by hand. If you see a square hole in the side of the piston from the exhaust side, it's in backwards.

How is your spark?

It could also be crankshaft seals, or leaking gaskets.

Does the new pump put out a healthy squirt of fuel? If not, that is an indication of bad crankshaft seals.

Did you buy it from a stranger? A new pump to them could mean that old one on the bench. A ripped diaphragm in the pump would flood the lower end, and soak the spark plug.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:10 PM   #3
knight314
Not Yet Wild

I will have to check the piston but I have noticed that there is a lot of oil on the underside of the engine near where the exhaust port is.

I believe that the spark is okay since it is running on carb cleaner but I did notice that it has a champion plug in it which I am not sure if that is correct. I do believe that I have read it needs an NGK.

I have tested the fuel pump and it does put out a pretty good amount of fuel while the engine is cranking so I think that is okay.

What gaskets do you think could need replacing besides the crankshaft seals?
Old 09-15-2016, 04:24 PM   #4
knight314
Not Yet Wild

I just took the exhaust off and I was able to see a rectangular/square hole on the piston from the exhaust side. So I guess I have to remove the engine and reassemble it?
Old 09-15-2016, 07:11 PM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Yes, the piston is in backwards.

Port side always faces the intake.

EDIT: Here is a manual that you can use. The difference is that you have a better muffler, a bigger carburetor, and an extra microswitch on the FnR switch.

One is for the backup buzzer. The other is a neutral safety switch.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:45 PM   #6
knight314
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the manual!
Old 09-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #7
knight314
Not Yet Wild

I just wanted to let everyone know that I did get the engine out and was able to reverse the piston as it was definitely 180 degrees offset. It all went back together pretty smoothly except for having to buy a new set of piston rings due to breaking one on the reinstall.

The cart now runs and starts pretty quickly. I believe it just needs some more fiddling to make it run perfectly. Thank you for all the help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO