lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2016, 09:39 PM   #11
swbgw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Hot A2 wire after motor upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjance View Post
I just thought of a very important question. When you said you replaced the cables, did you replace them with larger cables or did you replace them with stock #6 gauge cables? You never did say.
I replaced them with 4 AWG from one of our local cart shops.

As a test, I ran to the store and grabbed some (temporary) 4 AWG starter cables and replaced the A2 wire. Drove a short distance, and A2 was no longer getting hot, but now A1 was. Replaced A1 and after a short drive everything seems good now.

I'll take it for a longer test later in the weekend and report back. If all is well I'll have the local shop make up a few more cables for me and get everything buttoned back up.

Thanks for all of the help so far!
swbgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #12
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Be sure to run the new main negative cable through the OBC you will have to put lug on after routing cable through the hole.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:13 PM   #13
swbgw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Be sure to run the new main negative cable through the OBC you will have to put lug on after routing cable through the hole.
Thanks!

We took the cart out for several longer drives over the weekend, and A1/A2 temps are good. Now F1/F2 wires are getting warm, so it looks like I'll be upgrading those as well.
swbgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:07 AM   #14
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Now F1/F2 wires are getting warm, so it looks like I'll be upgrading those as well.
If you have a Curtis 250amp controller make sure you can find a connector that will fit the connection on the controller. Then you can just use the old A1 and A2 wires.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:26 AM   #15
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbgw View Post
Thanks!

We took the cart out for several longer drives over the weekend, and A1/A2 temps are good. Now F1/F2 wires are getting warm, so it looks like I'll be upgrading those as well.
There is no need to replace the F1/F2 wires with anything larger than the OE size of 10 gauge (?) they do not carry much amperage at all... If you suspect they are corroded replace and make sure that the connections are clean & bright and are not loose....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:06 AM   #16
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
they do not carry much amperage at all
Actually they do carry a lot of amperage. A Curtis 250A controller is rated at 25amps field current. An Alltrax 500a controller is rated at 50-60a field current. The recommendations are as follows. If your motor has 1/4" field connections 10 gauge is ok. If the terminals are 5/16" use 6 gauge. And since you already have two 6 gauge wires running to the motor use them.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:35 AM   #17
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Actually they do carry a lot of amperage. A Curtis 250A controller is rated at 25amps field current. An Alltrax 500a controller is rated at 50-60a field current. The recommendations are as follows. If your motor has 1/4" field connections 10 gauge is ok. If the terminals are 5/16" use 6 gauge. And since you already have two 6 gauge wires running to the motor use them.
10 gauge wire can reasonably carry 50 amps...

And correct me if I'm wrong (like no one wouldn't) but on the stock 250 amp controller the connection for F1/F2 is a 1/4" Tab Quick Connection which you will not likely find sized to accept 6 gauge wiring...
Old 10-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #18
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree 10ga is all you will need for F1 and F2.

6ft of 10ga wire has 0.006Ω resistance so at 50amps You will be loosing 0.3v on the wires, it is not a factor.

The motor would also have to be stalled to demand 50amps of field current.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:07 AM   #19
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
And correct me if I'm wrong (like no one wouldn't)
I've already addressed that in my previous post.

Quote:
10 gauge wire can reasonably carry 50 amps
And a 6 gauge wire can reasonably handle a 250 amp controller output. But keep in mind that these are performance upgrades. For people wanting to go a step above the ordinary.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:21 AM   #20
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I've already addressed that in my previous post.

And a 6 gauge wire can reasonably handle a 250 amp controller output. But keep in mind that these are performance upgrades. For people wanting to go a step above the ordinary.
You're not addressing the 1/4" Tab Connection on the controller? Please show us where to buy a 6 gauge to 1/4" Tab Female Quick Connection? The largest I've seen is for 10 gauge...

As to a "step above the ordinary" why does my 500 amp controller not call for replacement of these wires?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car