lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-14-2016, 12:28 AM   #1
Flatout71
Not Yet Wild

Default Best Charger Option??

Club Car OBC and charger seem to working fine. But I think I would prefer to have a in car mounted charger as I use the car in a few different places and it would be nice to not have to drag along the club car charger.

So the Lester cart mountable chargers are they the best? I would hope wiring directing onto the batteries the OBC computer would not have to be by passed? That way I could use the club car charger if needed as a back up.

Where is a good spot to mount a Lester charger ina precedent 2013? What is the best model to order?

Thanks for the advice.
Flatout71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2016, 08:45 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Best Charger Option??

Yes, I've heard that the Lester on-boards are the best. As for using the OBC system in conjunction with an on-board, I don't believe it would work. The OBC would not see the current being out into the pack by the on-board charger, so when you used your CC charger, it would overcharge the pack.

I'm thinking David at RGC would have some ideas for mounting locations...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:51 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Does the cart have a rear flip-seat on it? I like to mount them beneath the rear seat bottom. That's the factory location for an on-board charger as well.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:33 PM   #4
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Does the cart have a rear flip-seat on it? I like to mount them beneath the rear seat bottom. That's the factory location for an on-board charger as well.
Great place, but my rear seat has a drop in ice chest (MadJax 300) so I can't mount it there...no room
dannyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:40 AM   #5
jroeiii
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Great idea, sheltered from splash up mounted in the body....still accessible etc.

Another thought would be to the right of the OBC, fab a plate to bolt the charger to, and bolt the plate thru the chassis rail that runs left to right above the wheels. Not sure how easy it would be to mount with the body on, but certainly do-able if you jack it up and pull the wheel well. If the OBC was eliminated it would make more room. The other factory components are mounted there, out of the splash zone and between the wheels wells etc.
jroeiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:26 PM   #6
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroeiii View Post
Great idea, sheltered from splash up mounted in the body....still accessible etc.

Another thought would be to the right of the OBC, fab a plate to bolt the charger to, and bolt the plate thru the chassis rail that runs left to right above the wheels. Not sure how easy it would be to mount with the body on, but certainly do-able if you jack it up and pull the wheel well. If the OBC was eliminated it would make more room. The other factory components are mounted there, out of the splash zone and between the wheels wells etc.
That is what I am thinking, if I do it that way, I will post pic's...
Old 11-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #7
Flatout71
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
David. Thx. Yes my cart has a rear flip seat so that is a good mount location for me. Lester 28000. Do I need to bypass the OBC or can I just hook up the Lester and roll?
Flatout71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:57 PM   #8
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just bought the same charger and Dawg told me to bypass the OBC..
Old 11-20-2016, 07:42 PM   #9
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Unfinished design, but looks good so far.....

My rear flip down has an ice chest built in so I cannot mount it under the seat.....but...

After lots of considerations, I have finally come up with a design that will work for my on board charger mounting.

First you will want to remove the rear body shell and remove your battery ground.

Undo the rear inspection plate located in the rear bag well and locate the shock mounts on the left and right hidden in the rear corners of the open area.

Span two pieces of aluminum angle 17" long from the rear shock mounts all the way to the forward part of the body compartment until it butts against the forward plastic area. The angle on the shock mount end will need one bolt (wont show) to hold it in place while resting. On the forward part of the angle, bolt it thru the plastic area of the rear body (not the body itself), using a short piece of aluminum (which works as a backing plate) from the floor of the outside area of the plastic and drill thru the aluminum backing plate the plastic and into the aluminum angle inside the open area and bolt together. Repeat on other side.

Now you have a solid place to rest the charger shelf, take a piece of 10" X 23 3/4" aluminum and predrill the charger holes for mounting after the shelf is mounted in place. Plenty of clearance above the motor and the battery wires are quite handy...

If mounted facing the rear of the cart, you can cut a small hole in the top area of the inspection plate for viewing status lights if needed. I have not found a good retractable power cord setup I like yet, but one thing at a time....if done right, I may even be able to mount the power cord retractor to the same mount....I'll keep you posted....

I have no idea why the pictures came out sideways, but if someone can fix that, please do....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charger mount 2.jpg (177.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Charger 5.jpg (318.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg charger mount 4.jpg (128.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg charger mount.jpg (235.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-22-2016, 09:05 PM   #10
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatout71 View Post
Club Car OBC and charger seem to working fine. But I think I would prefer to have a in car mounted charger as I use the car in a few different places and it would be nice to not have to drag along the club car charger.

So the Lester cart mountable chargers are they the best? I would hope wiring directing onto the batteries the OBC computer would not have to be by passed? That way I could use the club car charger if needed as a back up.

Where is a good spot to mount a Lester charger ina precedent 2013? What is the best model to order?

Thanks for the advice.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...xperiment.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car