lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2017, 10:49 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Mayday mayday

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnsniper View Post
It's was plowed by a friend tractor. I don't see my seed spreader throwing seeds up there. The harrow I was pulling was a good 10 ft behind me. I know it sounds wierd but it has a sweet smell to it. Not quit electrical. All the cables 4ga were slight warm but not hot by any means controller was ambient. By infrared thermometer was saying 140-160 on the motor case. I talked to I think it was Robby at plum quick today. He said the shelack (sp?) on the coil will have that smell and I could of got it just hot enough to start breaking that down

On that note. What do y'all think of plum quick? He said he could build me a high torque that should solve my issue. I don't need nor want crazy top speed
The max allowable temperature for wires with Class-H insulation (like those in your motor) is 180°C (356°F), however the motor case temperature is far removed from the actual temperature reached by the wires in the armature and field windings, so the max temperature at the motor case is about 115°C (239°F). Also, due to the thermal mass evolved, the peak case temperature lags the peak windings temperature by several minutes and if the peak of the windings temperature is relatively short in duration, its full magnitude may not be fully tracked at the case.

In other words, as Robbie speculated, the wires could have gotten hot enough to make the shellac without showing abnormally high temperatures at the case surface.

----------
Dragging things behind a cart is the same physically as installing tall tires on the cart. It takes more torque to move the cart at the same speed.

Since high than stock speed isn't a requirement, go with a high torque motor. One that produces at least 40% more torque than stock and is in the longest case that will fit between differential and shocks.

Also, stick with the shortest tire height you can find with the tread pattern needed for your application and avoid low pressure tires.

Of course, to get better low end performance from a high torque motor, upgrade to an Alltrax XCT48500-TXT48 controller.

-----------
As for PQ motors: They make great motors, but their heat dissipation characteristics are roughly the same as the stock motors they are built from, which is fine for most applications, but your application may be pushing the envelope in the heat department a bit, so I'd go with a motor with a physically longer case.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2017, 08:26 PM   #12
wheelnsniper
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The max allowable temperature for wires with Class-H insulation (like those in your motor) is 180°C (356°F), however the motor case temperature is far removed from the actual temperature reached by the wires in the armature and field windings, so the max temperature at the motor case is about 115°C (239°F). Also, due to the thermal mass evolved, the peak case temperature lags the peak windings temperature by several minutes and if the peak of the windings temperature is relatively short in duration, its full magnitude may not be fully tracked at the case.

In other words, as Robbie speculated, the wires could have gotten hot enough to make the shellac without showing abnormally high temperatures at the case surface.

----------
Dragging things behind a cart is the same physically as installing tall tires on the cart. It takes more torque to move the cart at the same speed.

Since high than stock speed isn't a requirement, go with a high torque motor. One that produces at least 40% more torque than stock and is in the longest case that will fit between differential and shocks.

Also, stick with the shortest tire height you can find with the tread pattern needed for your application and avoid low pressure tires.

Of course, to get better low end performance from a high torque motor, upgrade to an Alltrax XCT48500-TXT48 controller.

-----------
As for PQ motors: They make great motors, but their heat dissipation characteristics are roughly the same as the stock motors they are built from, which is fine for most applications, but your application may be pushing the envelope in the heat department a bit, so I'd go with a motor with a physically longer case.

Thankis all. Man johnnie did u invent the golf cart? I sware ur replies are so in depth and I know it stuff
wheelnsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:37 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnsniper View Post
-----------
Man johnnie did u invent the golf cart?
--------------
I barely knew golf carts existed until six years ago, when we bought a used one to run around the neighborhood, make runs into town for a few items needed before our next weekly shopping trip and get to local places I can't get within my limited walking distance to in a car.

There were several to choose from and my wife picked the one we got because she liked the nose art it had. It just happened to be an EZGO with a PDS drive, which has worked out well for our needs.

I have an extensive background with electro-mechanical and electronic devices as well as teaching troubleshooting, but I still had a lot to learn about electric carts and picked up a lot of knowledge about them on this forum.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO