lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2017, 11:24 PM   #1
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Transformation (aka Addiction) Begins

As soon as I got my cart, I knew 14MPH was not enough, especially since my BIL's EZGO just got a Curtis 500A 48V (from 36) upgrade. I've been planning my decent into this addiction for over 3 years and honestly, I don't know how I've managed to be so patient.

Now that I finally succumbed to the speed bug, I'm starting the install sort of from the front to the back. For lighting, I grabbed a Madjax light kit. During the install, what I thought was a brake light switch was a circuit breaker. While I wait on the parts, I decided to add some visibility into the electronics bay and some functionality to the cockpit.

From left to right are a voltmeter with % remaining. It is similar to the one I purchased from EV Batteries but this has a remote programming switch that I can mount to reach more readily. The other one is soldered to the back. They are the same size, so I can switch it back if it I decide later. To the right, is an inductive ammeter. While I expect it to be less than accurate, it will serve as a good reference without having to keep a laptop plugged into the controller. (Using a stick computer with remote screen up front is a future upgrade idea) The switch to the right of the key is for head lights and to the right of that is the dual USB charging port. To put the dual temperature gauges (battery and motor), I will need to move the buzzer and I'm too tired tonight to go on.

dash1.jpg

Once I get the lights and the dash finished, I will button up the front end and move on to the Lithium battery, Alltrax controller, HD solenoid, 2AWG cables, charger and voltage reducer.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2017, 07:45 AM   #2
mrmotoguzzi00
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Transformation (aka Addiction) Begins

LOL.... yup I just started too... Next up is a new motor.... I did everything else first with ScottyB's help... so it will support any of my crazy updates in the future...

without touching the motor we went from 11-22mph, part of that was getting into 20" wheels...

Have Fun!

Mike
mrmotoguzzi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:46 AM   #3
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yeah, scottyb is feeding my addiction too! My bank account really hates that guy!
Old 06-16-2017, 09:55 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post
Yeah, scottyb is feeding my addiction too! My bank account really hates that guy!

I know what you mean - I need to sell some carts but, I'm not.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #5
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

I know what you mean - I need to sell some carts but, I'm not.
Don't tell my wife, but I'm looking to buy another! Do you have a Precedent that you want to sell? I prefer no batteries, controller, motor, top, windshield, seats or tires!
Old 06-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #6
mrmotoguzzi00
Gone Wild
Club Car

My wife doesn't know about Scotty... but my charge card is a bit melted... :)
mrmotoguzzi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:22 PM   #7
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

About the "not knowing about Scotty".....

"I have no recollection of that ".....
That's my story and I'm sticking to it !!!!!
TexTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:01 AM   #8
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Got the tail Madjax light kit with RHOX brake switch installed tonight. Found out that the Madjax basic kit includes all the wires and lights but you need the $150 blinker kit to make the brake lights work. No thanks. I found the right Molex connector and pins for less than $10. Of course, I could have cut and spliced but I hate that and I might eventually do blinkers. Put the rear body back on and mounted the Alltrax and HD solenoid. Test fit the wiring harness and will attack removing the old OBC connector next.

Progress!
Old 07-11-2017, 07:51 PM   #9
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Well, even though I have a few wires to button up and some tuning to work out, the Lithium/Alltrax transformation is complete. Yet like any other addict, I am already thinking about the next "surgery".

file-3.jpg
The heart of the beast is this battery kit from EV Battery Center. Nick and Neil were very helpful answering all of my ridiculous questions. They supplied the pre-programmed BMS with WiFi and the 17A charger. It was charged and ready to go when I got it. The fuse holder on the pack negative is a Marinco Power Products unit.

file1-1.jpg
The DC-DC converter is a 30AMP unit from Carts Unlimited and can handle input of up to 60V. BTW, it is more expensive elsewhere. It feeds a Deep Blue Sea fuse block and corresponding ground block. All were mounted on the front of the battery bucket under the driver's side.

file2-1.jpg

The controller is an Alltrax XCT400 (I wish I got the 500 for a couple bucks more) and the solenoid is a MJZ-400 Super Duty unit. Both were from scottyb and Carts Unlimited. Can't say enough about all the help he provided. Fair prices too. I mounted them on the back panel of the original controller bay and left the cover off. I'm still trying to decide what to do about the Tow/Run switch and two different fuses. It will look cleaner when I figure that out.

file3-1.jpg

Up front, I had already installed this battery meter but I recommend the one from EV Battery Center. It has a programmable flashing alarm when you drop below the recommended pack voltage. I would have replaced it already but they are not the same size like I first thought. I'm also not happy with the placement. The meter is not visible while driving.

The meter to the right is a 400A inductive ammeter. You can see the white induction coil on the red pack positive wire in the first and second photos above. It is surprisingly a lot more accurate than I expected but, like the voltage meter, I cannot see it easily while driving.

Lastly, the USB charging port and headlight switch is from Mic Tuning.

As I mentioned at the top of this post today, I am already thinking about the next surgery. One will be to redo the dash to include a Bluetooth amplifier and speakers along with a Windows based touchscreen computer to act as the head unit. I will also be able to monitor the Alltrax if necessary. The FNKS remote control tuning dials for the Alltrax are going to get a makeover and get installed in the new dash as well.

Another surgery that will be forthcoming is a new, more powerful motor. I'm leaning hard on buying the Admiral MOT-A4. Even though the performance of this cart is unbelievable, I am wanting more and the stock AMD just does not have it. The pack certainly has more to offer. 4 miles of hard driving in the hills on a hot day saw the pack only 5F hotter than ambient. Can't say the same about the motor.

Something that might be interesting to do down the road is create a mobile network on it using a high gain WiFi antenna and router on it to connect to all the hotspots in my neighborhood. That way, I can stream music everywhere I go. I can also monitor the charger remotely when it is plugged in.

Where does the addiction end? Thanks to all of those who have gone before me and lived to tell the tale. Your posts here have been an inspiration. Thank you to the vendor/sponsors and everyone else who has provided material and intellectual guidance. Without you, this would be a pile of parts collecting dust in my garage.
Greg
Old 07-11-2017, 08:17 PM   #10
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Great looking install - well done
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car