lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2017, 12:20 PM   #21
bird6246
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Range on Full or Half Throttle????

I would think that once you reach "cruising speed" on flat ground your carts amps would flatten out to a steady consistent draw, and I would think that whether at half or full throttle, once cruising the draw would not be a huge difference because you already have the mass in motion, and your just maintaining the speed. At least it sounds good in theory. But it is a very interesting question, looking for one of the smart technical fellers to answer it.
bird6246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #22
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

This is what I am using to measure the AMP load. It is very accurate compared to what I see in the Alltrax monitor screen. I have my regen set to 85 AMPS max to the battery and it will bounce up to about 88-90 and settle right down to 85 during heavy regen. The Alltrax is a little slower to react but it shows 86-87 before dropping to 85.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:29 PM   #23
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird6246 View Post
I would think that once you reach "cruising speed" on flat ground your carts amps would flatten out to a steady consistent draw, and I would think that whether at half or full throttle, once cruising the draw would not be a huge difference because you already have the mass in motion, and your just maintaining the speed. At least it sounds good in theory. But it is a very interesting question, looking for one of the smart technical fellers to answer it.
They do flatten out. My peak AMPS have hit 210 on a steep incline from a dead stop before flattening out to 160 when the cart had stopped accelerating. On flat ground, they peak at about 180 before dropping. They bounce up and down as the cart bounces off the rev limiter I set.

There is a big difference trying to maintain 12MPH vs 25MPH.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:47 PM   #24
AbsoluteDiesel
Not Yet Wild

Gregorio thanks for the link I may install one of those.

Since you seen well versed in carts and current draw I'm might ask a question....

Based on 6 Crown CR-190 190AH at 20hr rate .. 26 inch tires alltrax 500 amp controller and the D&D 502 11.4hp motor..... I am getting around 10 miles to 50% discharge with one passenger mixed driving on fairly flat ground.... would you think I should be seeing more range?

I believe going to eight CR-220 (220AH at 20hr rate) should give me at least 25-30% additional range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AbsoluteDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:33 PM   #25
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDiesel View Post
Gregorio thanks for the link I may install one of those.

Since you seen well versed in carts and current draw I'm might ask a question....

Based on 6 Crown CR-190 190AH at 20hr rate .. 26 inch tires alltrax 500 amp controller and the D&D 502 11.4hp motor..... I am getting around 10 miles to 50% discharge with one passenger mixed driving on fairly flat ground.... would you think I should be seeing more range?

I believe going to eight CR-220 (220AH at 20hr rate) should give me at least 25-30% additional range?

I would not say I am "well versed" but I have been doing a ton of research on my own cart as well as a few others, lately. I also have an auto racing background that makes me always look for the "whys" and "hows" in everything.

On paper, you are only adding 15% more battery capacity (190 vs 220) so I would expect your run times would increase roughly that much. However, there may be other factors that might give you a little more than that. The bigger batteries should offer better resistance to voltage sag which will equate to more power to the motor. In theory, you will use less "fuel" to achieve the same level of power. In other words, you will not need to use as much to feel the same level of acceleration. However, we all know when we have more power available, we use all of it!

In my testing, lowering RPM and therefore limiting speed, extends run times on my Lithium pack tremendously. My wife's program is limited to about 17.5MPH with reasonably light torque rates while mine is set at 25MPH and will snap your neck if you are not ready for it. Guess which program has the longest battery run time?

How is your Alltrax programmed? I'm sure your 26" tires are taking a ton of power to roll.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:46 AM   #26
AbsoluteDiesel
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post
I would not say I am "well versed" but I have been doing a ton of research on my own cart as well as a few others, lately. I also have an auto racing background that makes me always look for the "whys" and "hows" in everything.

On paper, you are only adding 15% more battery capacity (190 vs 220) so I would expect your run times would increase roughly that much. However, there may be other factors that might give you a little more than that. The bigger batteries should offer better resistance to voltage sag which will equate to more power to the motor. In theory, you will use less "fuel" to achieve the same level of power. In other words, you will not need to use as much to feel the same level of acceleration. However, we all know when we have more power available, we use all of it!

In my testing, lowering RPM and therefore limiting speed, extends run times on my Lithium pack tremendously. My wife's program is limited to about 17.5MPH with reasonably light torque rates while mine is set at 25MPH and will snap your neck if you are not ready for it. Guess which program has the longest battery run time?

How is your Alltrax programmed? I'm sure your 26" tires are taking a ton of power to roll.

Gregorio thanks! Makes perfect sense..... but since I would be adding two batteries going from 6 to 8 batteries wouldn't I be able to count the additional 440AH? Or no? I know I could reduce the amperage output and the ramp up speed for sure... I know a lot of power is lost on heavy acceleration.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:58 PM   #27
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDiesel View Post
Gregorio thanks! Makes perfect sense..... but since I would be adding two batteries going from 6 to 8 batteries wouldn't I be able to count the additional 440AH? Or no? I know I could reduce the amperage output and the ramp up speed for sure... I know a lot of power is lost on heavy acceleration.

When connecting batteries in series, you add the voltage but the amperage stays the same. When you connect them in parallel, the voltage stays the same but you add the amperage.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #28
AbsoluteDiesel
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post
When connecting batteries in series, you add the voltage but the amperage stays the same. When you connect them in parallel, the voltage stays the same but you add the amperage.

Ok I understand now.... if is so hard to believe with two additional batteries I would only see 15% which I don't believe is worth the money. But your right I'm glad I brought it up.

Do you know of any 8v batteries with a better rating that 190ah?

Thanks

Old 08-23-2017, 09:47 PM   #29
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

From what I've read, Trojan Ranger is 205 but if you really want to extend your run time, see if you can fit a GC2H 6v battery. Most carts take GC2, and the H version is almost exactly the same length and width but about 1" taller, if I remember. There are a few brands that go up to 260AH. Crown maybe?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car