lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2017, 09:13 AM   #21
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery problems Trojan Ranger 160

Quote:
52.8 volts at main neg.and pos. terminals
Interesting, that just happens to be the float voltage reading. What lights are on?
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2017, 09:28 AM   #22
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
Interesting, that just happens to be the float voltage reading. What lights are on?
Green and charge

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
beach cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:38 AM   #23
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach cart View Post
Green and charge

never mind. deleted post
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I checked it both places. 5 hrs. Into charge, shows 13 amps and reads 55.5 volts.
The amps have decreased from max, so the charger is in absorption charge stage and the voltage ought to be 56.4V rather than 55.5V.

Something is amiss, but I don't know what.

My suggestion at this point is to contact DPI.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #25
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

The Green and charge light on and the meter reading float voltage should be telling me something. Trouble is I don't know what. Maybe something weird like the cart is putting a load on the batteries while you are charging the batteries. Before you call DPI try disconnecting the main power cable from the batteries only leaving the wire from the charger connected to the battery and try charging.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #26
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm going to call DPI Monday. Summary, professional discharge twice, shows fine. Took 16 hours to go to 2 amp float. Charger is doing it's job, hopefully. Voltage after 2 hrs. off charger 51.3. I'm going to run and charge next couple of days, and report back.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:49 PM   #27
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I called DPI today and talked at length about these battery issues, nothing really resolved or could figure out. But I am going to admit where I went wrong to maybe help another.

Six months ago I noticed my DPI charger was not showing zero at the end of a charge. It read 2 amps sometime 2.5. After my initial charge today on a new set of t875 Trojans. Charger charged in 2 hours and is at zero amps on meter, only load was a soc bar meter so no issue with loads, not sure what this may mean, only info. I did replace the board to make sure before new batteries charged.

I always kept my batteries watered to 3/8" below bottom of tube. I run my cart all the time, 50 plus miles a week. All road miles but 20 mph most of the time. So I can't pinpoint causes probably me and charger. I'll check water levels weekly now. Have started a break in log for new set. Not sure about the 2 amp FLOAT maybe it's not suppose to SHOW on meter. Maybe someone (Johnnie B) can explain this for me.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:49 AM   #28
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I called DPI today and talked at length about these battery issues, nothing really resolved or could figure out. But I am going to admit where I went wrong to maybe help another.

Six months ago I noticed my DPI charger was not showing zero at the end of a charge. It read 2 amps sometime 2.5. After my initial charge today on a new set of t875 Trojans. Charger charged in 2 hours and is at zero amps on meter, only load was a soc bar meter so no issue with loads, not sure what this may mean, only info. I did replace the board to make sure before new batteries charged.

I always kept my batteries watered to 3/8" below bottom of tube. I run my cart all the time, 50 plus miles a week. All road miles but 20 mph most of the time. So I can't pinpoint causes probably me and charger. I'll check water levels weekly now. Have started a break in log for new set. Not sure about the 2 amp FLOAT maybe it's not suppose to SHOW on meter. Maybe someone (Johnnie B) can explain this for me.

The charger is likely fine, and trying to do its job. But your overfilling has taken a toll. I can tell you this. Overfilling causes electrolyte loss every time it overflows out of the cells. You should be filling to about 1/4" to 3/8" over the battery PLATES, no more. As you lose electrolyte, every time you refill with water, you are diluting your electrolyte further. Eventually, your chemistry is no longer in balance between cells, and between batteries. The Trojan Ranger 160 is a high end battery, and what you have done is compromise the ability of those batteries to remain properly balanced. I don't know if you have the skill set to do this, or you may have to consult a battery dealer. You will need to get the batteries up to a full charge, then have the specific gravity of each and every cell tested, and corrected to the Trojan specification for your specific battery. Failure to do this will result in poor charging and usage performances, and result in shortened battery life. Never overfill lead/acid battery cells for this reason. I hope this helps.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:42 AM   #29
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:

Float charging is applying a constant voltage to the battery and allowing the amps to "Float" as need to maintain that voltage. In Mode-2 (Trojan) a 48V DPI charger uses 52.5V.

The amp flow into the battery (as shown on charger's ammeter) during float charge is equal to the self discharge rate of the battery plus all other amp flows out of the battery.

Assuming the Ranger-160 batteries lost 1% SoC per day, the self discharge amp flow would be 85ma. I'm not sure what a LED bar-graph type SoC meter draws, but most likely less than 100ma. The combination of those two amp flows would barely move the needle on the DPI ammeter.

Showing 2A on the DPI ammeter indicates an undesired something is drawing nearly 2A.
Could be sick batteries with a very high self-discharge rate, or a defective SoC meter, or additional connections to the battery pack.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:18 PM   #30
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks everyone for the replys and Johnnie for the explanation

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO