lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2018, 06:28 PM   #1
The Gov
Not Yet Wild

Default Need full choke to get ezgo cart going when cold

New to forum. Just picked up what appears to be a well cared for 1994 gas Medalist at great price. Obviously it has some issues - but in pretty good shape to be 25 years old. Previous owner said it was "a little cold natured" but fine once it warms up. When cart is cold, I must hold choke fully out and run cart for about 1 minute before it will run properly. Engine stalls out with no choke engaged. Once engine warms up, no choke needed and runs well. What is causing the need for the choke to be used for so long before it runs properly?

Other observations:
1. Changed oil and oil appeared to have gas in it. Oil seemed thin and smelled more of fuel than oil.

2. Appears some gas and/or oil is getting in air box. Coming through the carb side of the box, not filter side. Could this be because cart has to run so long with choke on? Or another problem?

3. Produces some smoke through exhaust but not enough to be a problem.

I'm handy but not a mechanic. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The Gov is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-14-2018, 08:03 AM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Need full choke to get ezgo cart going when cold

You can clean the carb and adjust the valves, that could help, but EZGOs do get cold blooded, more so than most golf cars
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:18 PM   #3
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Started my 1996 EZGO last week (30degrees )out with a new engine and carb, Had to use the choke to keep it running till it built some heat in the engine.

I would adj the valves (easy) ck this form on how its done.

pull plugs and see if they are black from carbon or oil, replace with new plugs.

can you tell if the smoke is oil (blue) or gas (black) hard to tell sometimes?

Is the cart lifted? sometimes lifted carts will smoke some because the lift sets the engine at a angle, basically overfilling one side of the crankcase.

If plugs are oil fowled most likely it need rings.
If gas fowled, could be dirty air filter or carb dumping to much gas. lot of China carbs out there, $18 on Ebay they are not that good! LOL

Good luck, let us know how you come out.
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:34 PM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Gas in the air box is from tight intake valves like above said set valve lash I'd bet a beer on the two inside valves witch see intake valves will be to tight
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:28 PM   #5
The Gov
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the advice. I've read enough on this forum and watched enough you tube videos to now know the valves probably need adjusting and the carb to be thoroughly cleaned. Plan on working on those projects this weekend.

Cart is lifted but motor sits pretty level compared to some others I've seen.

Changed the oil, tightened the belts, and ran some Seafoam through the gas tank trying to get it back in shape. We'll see how it does after the valve and carb jobs.
The Gov is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO