lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2018, 07:42 AM   #11
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Take a jumper cable. Connect one end to the positive side of the battery. Touch the other end to the starter lug, or the output side of the solenoid. What happened? It should have turned over.

There are also 2 small terminals on the solenoid. One connects to ground. The other connects to the key, and pedal switch. That's the side you want to touch with your same positive jumper cable.

What happened? Did the solenoid click? Did the starter turn over? It should have.

If nothing happened, you need to start checking the feed circuit. It's the fuse, key switch, and pedal switch.

I got ahead of myself here. I should have said if the solenoid did click by jumping it, then it's time to check for power through the feed circuit. What we did here is test your solenoid.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2018, 07:55 AM   #12
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Have you checked starter brushes
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:23 AM   #13
Ronman
Getting Wild

...e
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:37 PM   #14
Ronman
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
I got ahead of myself here. I should have said if the solenoid did click by jumping it, then it's time to check for power through the feed circuit. What we did here is test your solenoid.

Ok, it starts when I go battery to motor. Also starts when I go battery to solenoid. And jumper lug to lug on solenoid.

I then went battery to small posts. It was right, making it hard to make contact, but no clicking or start. I tried both posts just to make sure I was trying the right one.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:23 PM   #15
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Very good. We are making progress. I suspect a bad electromagnet in the solenoid.

One final test before we spend your money on a solenoid. I want to make sure that you are getting power to the small terminals of the solenoid.

Set your meter to dc volts.
Hold the black wire of the meter to the negative battery post.
Hold the red meter wire to the small terminal of the solenoid that is connected to the switches. (The feed side.)

Turn on the key, and step on the pedal. You should see 12 volts. If you do, we can say that the solenoid is bad, maybe.

It could still be a bad ground at the solenoid.

You could use jumper cables, or 2 smaller wires for this test. Jump directly from both terminals of the battery to both small terminals of the solenoid. If nothing happens, it's a bad solenoid. If it clicks, and turns over it is a bad ground.

Also make sure you didn't blow the fuse while jumping earlier with that hot cable. Sometimes things get touched.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:19 PM   #16
Ronman
Getting Wild

I used the meter and do not get anything on the small terminal. I ensured I have a good connection by checking at the big lug and have 12.8 there. When I go to the small lug it just zeros out. When I touch the other small terminal the meter does nothing. So I'm assuming I'm testing the correct terminal.

I also checked at the ignition. I have the constant hot at 12.v and 12.v on the other when I hit the peddle.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:29 PM   #17
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

When you say ignition, I assume you mean the key switch. One side should always be hot.
turning the key on, and off should change the other side. It should then travel down to the pedal switch.

Turn on the key, and one side of the pedal switch should be hot.

I don't want to tell you to buy a solenoid until I am sure you are getting 12 volts to the small terminals.

Don't forget to jump both small terminals directly to the battery. That is a direct solenoid test.

With the key turned off, set your meter to ohms. One small terminal of the solenoid should have continuity to ground. You do not want power for this test.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:51 PM   #18
Ronman
Getting Wild

Inwent from the positive to the small terminal with the wires connected and it turned over. This is without connecting the ground to the other terminal.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:06 PM   #19
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Ok. Sounds like the solenoid is working.

We now need to see where the feed problem is between the key switch, and the solenoid.

This flows just like water. We need to see where the leak is. I'm heading to the shower, and then work in an hour.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:10 PM   #20
Ronman
Getting Wild

Micro switch?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO