lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
Joeyquader
Not Yet Wild

Smile 96 ezgo gas problems

I have a 1996 ezgo with the robins 295. It seems to be hitting the rev limiter around 1800-200 rpm. I have built 2 of these motors and are very familiar with their insides and outs. I have no idea how the rev limiter on this engine works. I’ve also believe it can be the clutches not contracting correctly. Any input I’d appreciate. Thank you in advance
Joeyquader is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2018, 01:35 PM   #2
BurntClutch
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 96 ezgo gas problems

I didnt think the '96 engines had a rev limiter on them. Just governor adjustments. Someone who knows them better I hope will chime in.

To check the clutches, put the cart in neutral and rev it up. You should see the belts transition fully on the pulleys front and back.
BurntClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:14 AM   #3
Joeyquader
Not Yet Wild

Thank you. I will have to check on my other cart and compare them. Any idea why it seems to ping like a rev limiter around 1800? What should it normally rev to? I don’t have a tachometer on my other cart might be worth while for me.
Joeyquader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:47 AM   #4
ShrunkenMonsters
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The 295 Robins have a rev limiter in the stock ignition system. Doing a 4 stroke HEI conversion will remove the rev limiter and make the cart run a little smoother (and faster). Have you adjusted the governor on the rear axle? The accelerator line from the pedal is attached to the rear axle which has a governor that controls the butterfly valve on the carburetor. So when the axle senses that you’re going too fast it pulls back on the throttle to keep you at a “safe speed”. If you’ve already adjusted the governor spring and you’re sure that you’re hitting your rev limiter, then an HEI conversion is the way to go. Seems quite a few people are having a problem with the conversion, so if you need any help I’d be happy to do a walkthrough with you.
ShrunkenMonsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:57 AM   #5
ShrunkenMonsters
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Oh and the stock robin 295’s should rev to around 4000 rpm. With an electronic ignition conversion they can safely rev to around 6k. If you’re willing to get into the rear axle you might change to a speed set of gears like a 10:1, 8:1, or 6:1. If you do I would suggest removing all of the interior governor parts from the differential or else the differential could grenade if you get going too fast, but also to replace the bearings seeing as it’s a ‘96 and they’re probably due.
ShrunkenMonsters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ezgo, gas, robins295
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO