lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2018, 08:06 PM   #1
Moose0013
Not Yet Wild

Question Yamaha G9 won't fire

My '94 yamaha G9 abruptly quit running on us this weekend and we couldn't get it restarted so we towed it back home. The next day, before tinkering with it, I mashed on the gas and to my surprise, it fired right up. So I drove it around the block and as soon as I let off the throttle to make a turn, it cut off again. I couldn't get it to start back up. So again, I towed it home. Since then, I've tried everything I can think of to get it running right and nothing is working. The motor turns over and the drive clutch and belts move but it just doesn't want to fire. I step on the gas and just get a chug, chug, chug, chug, chug.
This is what I've tried so far:
✔ checked air box, cleaned air filter, and checked air hoses for cracks. Good.
✔ checked fuel pump and in line filter by removing hose from carburater and stepping on throttle. Good.
✔ removed carburater and disassembled. Throughly cleaned bowl and all jets. Checked all hoses entering and leaving carb. Good
✔ attempted to get a reaction by spraying staring fluid in throat... no difference.
✔ checked for spark by removing spark plug and holding plug to valve cover while stepping on gas. Had spark but replaced with a new plug anyway.
✔ Checked compression at spark plug with compression gauge. Consistently reads 140 psi.

What else can I check? The only time I can get it to fire is after its been sitting for a long period of time and it won't restart after letting it idle off.
I've drained the battery over the past 3 days trying to get it to run and I can't think of anything that it's missing for combustion.
I have fuel, spark, compression and air flow! What gives???
Moose0013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2018, 08:17 PM   #2
nitro1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G9 won't fire

Sounds like your igniter
nitro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:21 PM   #3
Moose0013
Not Yet Wild

If the igniter was bad, I wouldn't be getting spark on the plug though, right?
Old 05-18-2018, 08:53 PM   #4
nitro1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Once the igniter gets hot I think it will loose spark, once it cools down it will work for a short time till it gets hot again, that’s what I’ve read through out the forums
Old 05-18-2018, 09:29 PM   #5
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Pull connection out of the ignitor and check for corrosion on chased a spark issue and this was the problem.... Did you have continuous spark or just one spark? I've been ignitors go bad and will spark once when you step on the throttle then stop let of the throttle step on it again and one spark then nothing
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:05 PM   #6
Moose0013
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
Pull connection out of the ignitor and check for corrosion on chased a spark issue and this was the problem.... Did you have continuous spark or just one spark? I've been ignitors go bad and will spark once when you step on the throttle then stop let of the throttle step on it again and one spark then nothing
Spark is continuous
Old 05-19-2018, 05:06 AM   #7
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Gas quality? Perhaps water/condensation in it...
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:48 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

See my thread G9 bogs and stalls... stumped.

Sounds very similar to what I was chasing. I could pull the plug and have spark. It would run GREAT for a couple minutes when I first got in it then it would die and nothing. Ignitor got wicked hot near where the connector is located. Just because you have spark doesn't necessarily mean it's strong enough to do anything either.

Or what I did was set TDC and mark the top of the primary clutch with a neon green paint pen. Grab a timing light and ride it around the yard until it dies. Once it dies, put it in "neutral" (shifter straight up) and keep the has pedal depressed so it keeps chugging. Shoot at your paint mark with a timing light. I'll bet you've got nothing.

I tried 3 brand new ignitors in it with the same results. They were all the aftermarket one, it appears that no matter WHO you buy it from amazon, eBay, golfcartsunlimited, etc) it's all the EXACT same one. They even use the same picture. It's junk. Either buy an OEM Yamaha for $300 or I did the Chrysler ignition module trick and it runs awesome. Hasn't had a single issue since I put it in.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:37 AM   #9
nitro1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

What’s the Chrysler ignition module trick
Old 05-19-2018, 08:49 AM   #10
Moose0013
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sformal View Post
Gas quality? Perhaps water/condensation in it...
I forgot top mention that I drained fuel tank and filled up with fresh non-ethanol rec fuel.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha