lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2018, 08:59 AM   #1
dnicholsbsa
Not Yet Wild

Default Having fun but frustrating

I now know what classic car enthusiast go through on their rebuilds. As guys junked classics in the 60’s and 70’s original parts became harder to find until someone started producing after market parts. It’s the same with golf cart restoration. I keep looking for parts and to no avail. Does anyone make after market products for old golf carts anymore. Maybe we need a cart nut to open up a Parts Geek or Rock Carts dot Com so we can find those hard to find items like a dang “ FRONT COWL”. ( frustration sets in. Drop mic)
dnicholsbsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2018, 07:47 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Having fun but frustrating

As a purveyor of vintage carts, of which I now have 8, I have come to accept that no one will make replacement parts that will only be occasionally bought. With the old stuff, oftentimes you have to find workarounds. It's all part of the puzzle. Some examples:

Here I figured out how to adapt a tractor-trailer fan switch to take the place of an EZGo throttle switch that's no longer made:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-thoughts.html

Here I had to fabricate my own accelerator linkage on a very old restoration that is talked about here:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/resto...-electric.html

Either way, everything is doable. You just have to scratch and claw occasionally.

Now, with your needed cowl, do you have any semblance of a cowl on-hand now no matter how rough shape it might be in? If you do you'll need to get yourself some fiberglass and bondo and put that thing back together like it's a jigsaw puzzle. I have done this twice now and, trust me, I am not a body man.

If you don't have a cowl at all then you need to find one which is a challenge. There are some golf cart bone yards out there but few advertise on the net so they can be tough to find. Start with vintagegolfcartparts.com and see if they can help you out. If not, many golf cart repair shops have stores of old carts on their premises. You'll have to call them, though. It's not easy.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:09 AM   #3
dnicholsbsa
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Having fun but frustrating

I understand it’s a challenge. I have a link called looking for fertile dinasour eggs since it seems like that’s what it’s like trying to find these parts. I picked up my first hobby cart (a g2 Yamaha) for 50.00. It runs has a decent frame and I figured how hard can it be. It was missing the upper front cowl but I didn’t know that until I looked at pictures of it. It will work as is but I really want to put it back as close to original as possible. I know of two g2’s in town and one of the owners offered to let me use his cowl to make a mold and construct a fiberglass one. If I can’t find one I may have to do that
dnicholsbsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha