lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #1
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default 1982 G1 J17 Information and upfitting Catalog

Can we start a catalog of the 82 (J17) with known differences and known upfitting procedures. Including intake and exhaust parts and mounting. There seems to be a lot of these coming up lately.

To start with there seems to be 2 exhausts. One with the butter fly and one with out. There have been reported fitment issues between these and all other years.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2018, 07:47 AM   #2
JerEazy
Getting Wild

Default Re: 1982 G1 J17 Information and upfitting Catalog

subscribed haha
JerEazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #3
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I'm in....By the time i have finished i'll pretty much know these inside out...lol.
griffo002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:46 PM   #4
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I guess I should have said lets get a J17 sticky started. These seem to be popping up a lot lately.

You can tell by looking at the OE intake boots the j17 is smaller and actually has j17 stamped into it. I checked my 84 intake boot and it is stamped j24 so either it was replaced onr just left over from the 83 model year. One of my 82 spare engines has a j10 topend on it and the boot is also marked j10.

The jugs are interchangeable but you need the reed and intake boot assembly. The jugs are stamped on the clutch side with the model also.

I think with the exhaust there is also different collars that come off the jug for mounting. I wonder if these are marked somehow?

Is the piston different?

Anyone know if the carb is physically smaller or just jetted differently?
Old 08-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #5
JerEazy
Getting Wild

Good question on the carb. I was looking at the plowman performance top end. New jug, piston etc etc for $250. But I have 0 idea if I can use it with my j-17.

You know what. I’m going to call them tomorrow. I bet they’ve been hit with the questions before.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:26 PM   #6
JerEazy
Getting Wild

Re: the carb: it does have a j17 part number. As does the main nozzle and throttle shaft. Everything else either is a j10 number or something that could possibly be interchangeable.

I’ve been using this site for part number references and then using google to find them for sale.

https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-g1_model16648/

It would be easier to cross reference on my computer at work as opposed to here on my phone.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:18 PM   #7
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerEazy View Post
Good question on the carb. I was looking at the plowman performance top end. New jug, piston etc etc for $250. But I have 0 idea if I can use it with my j-17.

You know what. I’m going to call them tomorrow. I bet they’ve been hit with the questions before.
The plowmans top end SHOULD be a bolt on deal. Then you need a reed valve assembly.

After plugging in the reed valve assembly part number into the google box it looks like 72-73 Yamaha DT motorcycle reed assembly is the exact same part number. how much this helps us find them I don't know. they do still seem to be available new. On both the CMS website and TNT golf cart parts. Trolling e-bay I see 2 different ones for the DT a 2 reed plate(the G1) and a 3 reed plate. so youd have to be careful what your buying used:

the Yamaha DT part link.
https://www.cmsnl.com/dt2-1972-1973-.../#.W3NTgPZFxYc

the 84-85 G1 part link
https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-g1-am5-...l#.W3NU9_ZFxYc

Your right about the carbs. I dug out my carbs for comparison. They physically look the same and would mount in any year boots. I wonder if there are internals that cant be changed or swapped out in favor of other years.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:00 PM   #8
JerEazy
Getting Wild

Spoke with Don over at Plowman’s today. Whew, that guy knows his stuff. He concurred that it’s a bolt on job except the intake and rejecting the carb. And then having to custom fab the exhaust hookup. He said it was easy, just a torch here and bend there and then fab up this. My brain was in a bit of a twirl as he went on about how it would all work. I had to tell him I only know how to turn wrenches LoL
Old 08-14-2018, 06:07 PM   #9
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerEazy View Post
Spoke with Don over at Plowman’s today. Whew, that guy knows his stuff. He concurred that it’s a bolt on job except the intake and rejecting the carb. And then having to custom fab the exhaust hookup. He said it was easy, just a torch here and bend there and then fab up this. My brain was in a bit of a twirl as he went on about how it would all work. I had to tell him I only know how to turn wrenches LoL
So after the top end change you have to modify the 82 exhaust to fit or modify the common exhaust to fit which would make more sense for the better flowing exhaust.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:21 PM   #10
JerEazy
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
So after the top end change you have to modify the 82 exhaust to fit or modify the common exhaust to fit which would make more sense for the better flowing exhaust.
Exactly. I would love to put a brand new exhaust on it. His exact words “every one of the mufflers is clogged. It’s just a matter of how bad” haha.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha