lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2018, 02:08 PM   #11
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: Brake options for a G2

Well, OEM stuff is most always best. shopyamaha.com has part numbers. Search part numbers online.

https://shopyamaha.com/parts-catalog..._(G2-AC_-_1988)
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2018, 02:44 PM   #12
ShawnQ
Not Yet Wild

I pulled the wheels off earlier. The passenger side brake material was literally in a pile on the bottom when I removed the drum. No friction material at all.

The driver's side shoes look OK, but none of the pedal movement makes it to the shoes. I adjusted the tension, and I was only able to get about 1/8" - 1/4" of travel on the lever arm that is connected to the cable and shoes.

I'm not sure how much travel you should have, but the travel I am getting will barely make the rear-most shoe move on the driver's side.

In other words, I will need shoes, drum surfacing (most likely), possibly cables, and who knows about the adjusters and other hard parts in the assemblies.

This is why I considered just getting a set of front discs. Replacing every part on the rear drums will be expensive.
ShawnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:04 PM   #13
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnQ View Post
I pulled the wheels off earlier. The passenger side brake material was literally in a pile on the bottom when I removed the drum. No friction material at all.

The driver's side shoes look OK, but none of the pedal movement makes it to the shoes. I adjusted the tension, and I was only able to get about 1/8" - 1/4" of travel on the lever arm that is connected to the cable and shoes.

I'm not sure how much travel you should have, but the travel I am getting will barely make the rear-most shoe move on the driver's side.

In other words, I will need shoes, drum surfacing (most likely), possibly cables, and who knows about the adjusters and other hard parts in the assemblies.

This is why I considered just getting a set of front discs. Replacing every part on the rear drums will be expensive.

Front discs won’t help you much the first time you want to stop while turning...

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:09 PM   #14
ShawnQ
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
Front discs won’t help you much the first time you want to stop while turning...

Why is that?

My race karts had front discs and worked just fine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #15
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Stopping quickly with only front brakes makes you unable to steer- in my experience.

LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:08 PM   #16
ShawnQ
Not Yet Wild

I need a bolt that appears to be sheared/broken on my driver's side brakes.

It is the bolt that hold the lever mechanism to the 'base' mounting plate that attaches to the axle tube. It looks brass, has a flat head, and has a spring 'seat' on the threaded side near the shoulder.

Any idea where I can find this? I don't see it on yamaha's website.

Both of them on my brakes were broken on the ends. It looks like they may have been slotted at one point to allow you to install a flathead screwdriver.

Any input is appreciated. I can get specific pics if needed, but it basically goes right here:

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha