lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-21-2019, 11:13 AM   #1
kylake254
Not Yet Wild

Default exhaust getting hot?

yamaha g2 exhaust getting hot just after idling for few minutes.pulled air shroud off everything is nice and clean.engine is still cool to touch but muffler part that attaches to engine is very hot?
kylake254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: exhaust getting hot?

Is the gasket between the manifold and head leaking ? Is the pipe between the muffler and head perforated ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:03 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Check to make sure the carb is clean and OEM Mikuni carb, not an aftermarket Mokini. Make sure the plastic spacer between the carb and the head is not cracked. That spacer cracks *very* easily if the carb mounting bolts are even a little bit overtightened. And make sure the airbox lid is COMPLETELY sealed and the gasket is good. Zip ties work well to seal an airbox lid when the rubber band clamps are gone.

If the exhaust is extra hot then it's probably running lean. These engines are quite picky to the air/fuel mixture. It doesnt take much to make them run lean...

If it has been sitting for a long time and you're just now getting around to making it run, make sure the muffler is not clogged or restricted as well. The fiber baffles inside the stock muffler break down over time and can cause it to be restricted, which can also cause it to run hot. Only solution if that is the case is cut the muffler open and gut the baffles, or replace the muffler. Plowmans carts has a performance kit with a better muffler, carb jet, and clutch kit that will really wake that thing up. You'll have to call and talk to Don and he will set you up with the perfect clutching to meet the needs of what you're looking for the cart to do

I'd check the obvious stuff first though. Intake leak and correct spark plug
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:10 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

What's the spark look like? To tell you the truth...I don't touch muffler's....they get HOT!
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:14 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
What's the spark look like? To tell you the truth...I don't touch muffler's....they get HOT!
I still have a scar on my shin from about 20 years ago when I was looking at a customers 1969 Corvette convertible. Beautiful car, and evil shiny chrome side exhaust pipes... He wanted a nice alarm and stereo in it, and I got a little too close leaning over the hood when quoting him for the custom work he wanted. Yep they were "warm".
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:46 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Muffler full of oil? Oil sizzle, or "clink clink clink" sound in the muffler after a hard drive?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:14 PM   #7
kylake254
Not Yet Wild

Not perforated
Old 09-22-2019, 05:37 PM   #8
kylake254
Not Yet Wild

pipe not perforated,gasket looks good, right plug ,and gap.plastic part between motor and carb not cracked.took muffler off and took shop vac to blow threw muffler,put hose on pipe that goes into engine.as soon as i put hose on pipe shop vac sounded like i put hand over end of hose making it work harder to blow.would this mean muffler is clogged?dont know how much air should come out tail pipe?
Old 09-24-2019, 07:15 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Not sure if the shop vac trick is a good test, but if no air is coming out then its clogged. Shop vac is a high vac low flow pump, any restriction will cause it to sound like it's plugged. I'd suggest tossing that muffler into a nice hot bed of red coals, some people put it into the bbq grille and cook all the oil out.

Just curious, what temps are you getting on the muffler after you drive? Might want to go to Harbor Freight and get a laser thermometer. This will help you a ton. Take a temp reading at the manifold, then at the tail pipe. What's the difference in temp. Also take a reading while it's idling and see if it's different.

Exhausts get really hot, but factory exhausts should not glow red, they are usually made of thicker steel. Aftermarket pipes will glow red, mostly under acceleration, as they are usually thinner metal.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:35 PM   #10
Boonamug
Not Yet Wild

I know this is a few years old, but was the problem ever discovered here?
I have the same issue with a G2. I've checked completely cleaned and replaced almost everything and still my muffler gets very hot, very quickly. (2-3 minutes) It didn't used to do this, but now it hesitates before acceleration and muffler gets extremely hot.
Boonamug is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha