lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2020, 07:42 PM   #1
dsmith2828
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Onboard charger for 2001 CC DS

All, I am looking for an on-board charger to use on my 2001 CC DS. One that I can mount under the back seat. I have been looking at the Summit Series II 650W and 1050W units and have a few questions that I hope you all will help with.

1. Other than how quickly the unit will charge the batteries and the cost, is there any other noticeable difference?

2. Is the extra speed from the 1050W unit worth it? Whatever unit I get I plan on connecting a retractable power cord to it so I can easily plug it in at the camp ground at Walt Disney World.

3. From my understanding of the units, you basically just hook this up across the whole battery pack bypassing the obc and let it do its thing being that it has all the controls built in. Is that it / correct? Is there anything else that needs to be considered?

4. Finally, should I be looking at something else?

Any help / advise is appreciated.
dsmith2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2020, 10:12 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Onboard charger for 2001 CC DS

The most important thing to consider is What Brand and Model batteries are in your cart? How many?

The 1050w version does not charge faster. It is able to deliver more amps to charge a larger capacity pack. The amperage it delivers is dependent on the brand and model of batteries, and is based on the charge profile that you will need to set-up using the Charger Connect Bluetooth app after installation.

The main advantage to any new smart charger is better efficiency and more accurate charging that is matched to what the battery manufacturer specifies for how to properly charge their battery, which will help lead to longer pack service life.

An OBC bypass is necessary to use any other non club car charger. If you wish to retain the charger lockout function (keeps the cart from being driven while the charger is plugged in) we’ll need to know what controller you have to set that up properly.
The Summit II is the best charger on the market right now IMO.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:54 AM   #3
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Are you planning to stay on paved roads , on board chargers really dont like to go woods bombing .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:01 AM   #4
dsmith2828
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
The most important thing to consider is What Brand and Model batteries are in your cart? How many?

The 1050w version does not charge faster. It is able to deliver more amps to charge a larger capacity pack. The amperage it delivers is dependent on the brand and model of batteries, and is based on the charge profile that you will need to set-up using the Charger Connect Bluetooth app after installation.

The main advantage to any new smart charger is better efficiency and more accurate charging that is matched to what the battery manufacturer specifies for how to properly charge their battery, which will help lead to longer pack service life.

An OBC bypass is necessary to use any other non club car charger. If you wish to retain the charger lockout function (keeps the cart from being driven while the charger is plugged in) we’ll need to know what controller you have to set that up properly.
The Summit II is the best charger on the market right now IMO.
Fairtax4me, thanks for the information. I really thought the higher amperage provided a faster charge. As for the setup, it is 48V with 6 Interstate GC8-HCL-UTL batteries. Not sure on the age of them. They came with the cart and none of the stickers on the batteries where updated when installed.
As for controller not sure on that. No labels or anything on it that I saw. The attached pic is what I see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191227_113547.jpg (224.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-26-2020, 11:40 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The controller is on the other side of that plate. Has several big cables going to it. Is this a series cart? Big FnR lever?
The yellowish box is the OBC (on-board charge computer) which interfaces with the factory charger. That will be removed with the OBC bypass for the new charger.

The type of controller matters if you want to retain the charger lockout function, but it also determines what needs to be done to properly bypass the OBC because of slightly different wiring for a series cart vs a Sepex cart.

Most battery packs will charge just fine with the 650w version. A typical “GC8” battery is usually 150-170AH capacity which only needs about 12-15 amp charge rate.
A higher capacity pack 200+AH , or packs with eight 6v batteries need the higher amp rate (18-20+ )that the 1000w charger can deliver.
The 1050 is also larger which can make it more difficult to find a place to mount.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:56 AM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

This might be worth looking at. Works with or without OBC. 7 pounds. 15 amp. Says it's waterproof. Has mounting holes.

I have been using one several months now with no problems. Site sponsor Golf Cart King. $200 shipped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200126_115232898.jpg (324.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200126_115214486.jpg (437.0 KB, 0 views)
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:26 PM   #7
dsmith2828
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
The controller is on the other side of that plate. Has several big cables going to it. Is this a series cart? Big FnR lever?
The yellowish box is the OBC (on-board charge computer) which interfaces with the factory charger. That will be removed with the OBC bypass for the new charger.

The type of controller matters if you want to retain the charger lockout function, but it also determines what needs to be done to properly bypass the OBC because of slightly different wiring for a series cart vs a Sepex cart.

Most battery packs will charge just fine with the 650w version. A typical “GC8” battery is usually 150-170AH capacity which only needs about 12-15 amp charge rate.
A higher capacity pack 200+AH , or packs with eight 6v batteries need the higher amp rate (18-20+ )that the 1000w charger can deliver.
The 1050 is also larger which can make it more difficult to find a place to mount.
Fairtax4me, it is a Series cart, large handle for the FNR. The controller on the other side is a silver box with no labels on it. I would like to change that at some point though to see if I can't get a little more speed out of it. Currently getting 16 MPH on a flat surface. Just cant do that right now.
You are spot on, the battery is a 170AH @ 20Hr. So it sounds like I could get away with the 650W unit if I wanted to. Is it worth going larger to be able to support a higher rated pack down the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
This might be worth looking at. Works with or without OBC. 7 pounds. 15 amp. Says it's waterproof. Has mounting holes.

I have been using one several months now with no problems. Site sponsor Golf Cart King. $200 shipped.
Mooncarter, I was looking at those as well and another reason I wanted to post out here. To get as much information before making a decision. That said, any regrets with yours in the sense you wish you went with another unit for any reason. Really do not want to purchase another one down the road if I do not need to to support other upgrades I might do.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:41 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

This one has worked fine for me. I have two 48v DS carts and I am using this charger on both of them. The OBC on my daughter's DS failed and I bought another to use on her cart. I have not had time to remove the OBC on her cart but the charger is working fine.

I do not know a lot about specific algorithms for particular batteries. Of the 3 carts: One has Trojans, one has Interstates, and the third has Precision batteries. These MODZ MAX chargers have been doing fine on all the above. I bought the first of these chargers about 6 months ago. Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:47 PM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith2828 View Post
Fairtax4me, thanks for the information. I really thought the higher amperage provided a faster charge. As for the setup, it is 48V with 6 Interstate GC8-HCL-UTL batteries. Not sure on the age of them. They came with the cart and none of the stickers on the batteries where updated when installed.
As for controller not sure on that. No labels or anything on it that I saw. The attached pic is what I see.
That is the On Board Computer. The controller is on the other side.

Sorry. FT already told you this.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:57 PM   #10
dsmith2828
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
Are you planning to stay on paved roads , on board chargers really dont like to go woods bombing .
Swan, no off road. Mainly neighborhood use.

Tags
charger 48v, lester summit 2
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car