lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2020, 08:17 PM   #11
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Onboard charger for 2001 CC DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith2828 View Post
Fairtax4me, it is a Series cart, large handle for the FNR. The controller on the other side is a silver box with no labels on it. I would like to change that at some point though to see if I can't get a little more speed out of it. Currently getting 16 MPH on a flat surface. Just cant do that right now.
You are spot on, the battery is a 170AH @ 20Hr. So it sounds like I could get away with the 650W unit if I wanted to. Is it worth going larger to be able to support a higher rated pack down the road?

150AH is kind of the minimum for an 8v golf cart battery, 170 is pretty standard. There are some that are lower, but they're pretty cheap and not often a good fit for carts due to the much lower range, and lower power availability. (as the pack discharges, lower AH capacity also means lower voltage and higher current draw rates which leads to significantly shorter range)

Really unless you plan to upgrade to an 8x6V setup, the only reason from a charging standpoint to go with the 1050w version would be if you plan to use a battery like the US Battery US 8VHATB XC2 which is a 205AH rated battery, or a Trojan Ranger 160, which is a 205AH rated battery. There may be one or two other 8V batteries in the 200+ah category, but batteries with that much capacity are not common, and are typically quite a bit more expensive. But you do get about 20-30% more range out of those vs a typical 150-170ah pack.

Pretty much any other typical "GC8" battery: Trojan T875, Crown CR165 or CR190, US XC2 GC8, Interstate, Deka/Duracell GC8, and several others that are less common, are all going to charge just fine with the 650w charger.
That said, something like the Crown CR190 or the US 8VGCHC (High Capacity) will be on the upper end of what the 650 would be able to comfortably handle. Reason being that they will need a higher charge amp rate than most of the others, but the 650 will still be able to charge them as long as it stays well ventilated and clean (no dirt/mud buildup on the cooling fins).

As far as speed is concerned. On a series cart you'll need to upgrade both the Controller and Motor to get faster. Speed on a series drive is determined by motor design, and voltage. A higher speed wind motor will need some extra amperage that the stock controller probably will not be able to deliver, or at least probably not in the long term. Short term you may be able to get by with a speed motor with the stock controller, but ultimately you need to do both.
The other option is higher voltage. Assuming this is already a 48V cart, the next step up from there would be 56v (by adding an extra 8v battery) which entails another set of upgrades in order to handle the higher voltage. A motor and controller swap is much easier IMO.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2020, 09:22 AM   #12
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
This might be worth looking at. Works with or without OBC. 7 pounds. 15 amp. Says it's waterproof. Has mounting holes.

I have been using one several months now with no problems. Site sponsor Golf Cart King. $200 shipped.
I think this is the one im gonna look into.
LEMANSZ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Those chargers don't appear to have provisions for on board use, meaning start a new cycle on AC disconnect.

So You will either need to plug & unplug the DC cord as well as the AC cord to charge or wire a relay to automatically disconnect the DC side when the AC plug is disconnected.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:43 PM   #14
dsmith2828
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
150AH is kind of the minimum for an 8v golf cart battery, 170 is pretty standard. There are some that are lower, but they're pretty cheap and not often a good fit for carts due to the much lower range, and lower power availability. (as the pack discharges, lower AH capacity also means lower voltage and higher current draw rates which leads to significantly shorter range)

Really unless you plan to upgrade to an 8x6V setup, the only reason from a charging standpoint to go with the 1050w version would be if you plan to use a battery like the US Battery US 8VHATB XC2 which is a 205AH rated battery, or a Trojan Ranger 160, which is a 205AH rated battery. There may be one or two other 8V batteries in the 200+ah category, but batteries with that much capacity are not common, and are typically quite a bit more expensive. But you do get about 20-30% more range out of those vs a typical 150-170ah pack.

Pretty much any other typical "GC8" battery: Trojan T875, Crown CR165 or CR190, US XC2 GC8, Interstate, Deka/Duracell GC8, and several others that are less common, are all going to charge just fine with the 650w charger.
That said, something like the Crown CR190 or the US 8VGCHC (High Capacity) will be on the upper end of what the 650 would be able to comfortably handle. Reason being that they will need a higher charge amp rate than most of the others, but the 650 will still be able to charge them as long as it stays well ventilated and clean (no dirt/mud buildup on the cooling fins).

As far as speed is concerned. On a series cart you'll need to upgrade both the Controller and Motor to get faster. Speed on a series drive is determined by motor design, and voltage. A higher speed wind motor will need some extra amperage that the stock controller probably will not be able to deliver, or at least probably not in the long term. Short term you may be able to get by with a speed motor with the stock controller, but ultimately you need to do both.
The other option is higher voltage. Assuming this is already a 48V cart, the next step up from there would be 56v (by adding an extra 8v battery) which entails another set of upgrades in order to handle the higher voltage. A motor and controller swap is much easier IMO.
Faritax4me, based on all the excellent details you have provided on the subject and what Sergio mentioned about the Modz needing to be disconnected from both the DC and AC side to start another charge. I think I will be going with the 650W Lester II unit and OBC bypass. Then when the time comes for new batteries, I can still go with a little higher capacity if I want or can afford to. That said, when it come to ventilation. Is inside an enclosed two car garage OK or should that be outside? Lastly, when the OBC is bypassed, can the OBC then be taken out all together?
dsmith2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:19 PM   #15
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

the obc can be removed if you want to . I left mine in the cart in case I want to sell it with a stock charger and keep my DPI
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:31 AM   #16
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Those chargers don't appear to have provisions for on board use, meaning start a new cycle on AC disconnect.

So You will either need to plug & unplug the DC cord as well as the AC cord to charge or wire a relay to automatically disconnect the DC side when the AC plug is disconnected.
This is a good point I did not even think about.

Will a manual switch on either side accomplish this? (+ or -)
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:00 AM   #17
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I suppose you could add a 20 amp switch on the DC output of the charger and turn it ON/OFF manually every time you charge, but I think $10 for a relay is worth to automate that task.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:49 AM   #18
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I suppose you could add a 20 amp switch on the DC output of the charger and turn it ON/OFF manually every time you charge, but I think $10 for a relay is worth to automate that task.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:08 AM   #19
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith2828 View Post
Faritax4me, based on all the excellent details you have provided on the subject and what Sergio mentioned about the Modz needing to be disconnected from both the DC and AC side to start another charge. I think I will be going with the 650W Lester II unit and OBC bypass. Then when the time comes for new batteries, I can still go with a little higher capacity if I want or can afford to. That said, when it come to ventilation. Is inside an enclosed two car garage OK or should that be outside? Lastly, when the OBC is bypassed, can the OBC then be taken out all together?
Yes, you can remove the OBC altogether. When properly bypassed it is totally disconnected from the cart already, so the only remaining thing to do is unbolt it and take it out of the cart.

Not to knock the modz charger. I'm sure those are decent units, and like Sergio said, that Can be used as an on-board charger, you just need a relay to make it work. It would also charge just about any battery pack just fine.

As far as ventilation, I was talking about ventilation for the charger. All new smart chargers get hot as they charge. The case on the Summit II has fins on it to dissipate that heat, and to work properly it needs air space around the charger so the charger does not overheat. The Summit II does have internal protection to slow down or stop the charge if it detects and overheat condition. (as do most other smart chargers)

As far as charging in an enclosed garage. Is it attached to your house? Does the garage have any ductwork (heat/AC return) that circulates air from the house into the garage and vice versa? There are gasses emitted from lead acid batteries during charging, and you don't want that stuff being blown through your house by your HVAC system.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:42 AM   #20
dsmith2828
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Yes, you can remove the OBC altogether. When properly bypassed it is totally disconnected from the cart already, so the only remaining thing to do is unbolt it and take it out of the cart.

Not to knock the modz charger. I'm sure those are decent units, and like Sergio said, that Can be used as an on-board charger, you just need a relay to make it work. It would also charge just about any battery pack just fine.

As far as ventilation, I was talking about ventilation for the charger. All new smart chargers get hot as they charge. The case on the Summit II has fins on it to dissipate that heat, and to work properly it needs air space around the charger so the charger does not overheat. The Summit II does have internal protection to slow down or stop the charge if it detects and overheat condition. (as do most other smart chargers)

As far as charging in an enclosed garage. Is it attached to your house? Does the garage have any ductwork (heat/AC return) that circulates air from the house into the garage and vice versa? There are gasses emitted from lead acid batteries during charging, and you don't want that stuff being blown through your house by your HVAC system.
Well being that I am planning on mounting the charger on the cart, it will more than likely go with it if I ever sell it. So out the OBC comes I think.

So it sounds like you are more of a fan of the Lester unit. It is hard to not ignore the difference in price though. Have to decide if the $100 difference is worth the time to wire in a relay.

Well being that I was going to put this under the rear seat. I was thinking of mounting the unit to an aluminum bracket with a cooling fan on the other side to help draw heat away. Might be overkill but it will be enclosed somewhat, so it couldn't hurt.

The garage is attached but no vents directly connecting it to the house. The air handler is in the attic space above the garage but there is a ceiling in the garage that separates from the garage space.
dsmith2828 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger 48v, lester summit 2
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car