lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-25-2020, 03:46 PM   #41
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1987 CLub Car DS,(Walle), the Before and After...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Daddy View Post
Im pretty sure each 6v battery should be over 6.3v if your ~90% charged or better my pack rests about 38.3v fully charged.

Another question would be when you are running around and testing it are you running it at full speed? Any of the resistor carts shouldn't be run at low speeds for very long as you will pull a ton of current through everything. Unless those new cables are garbage I would run the cart at full speed and do the check heat check, you should be able to run a long time at full throttle and not heat those wires up. I would also check to see if any of those resistor coils that are on your new seloniod pack are getting hot which would mean your not hitting full throttle. While your at it get your phone and GPS what the maximum speed you hit is that may give an indicator as well. Are your test drives on fairly flat pavement or going up and down steep hills? Does the cart push smoothly when in neutral or are maybe the brakes sticking? Another is to report the pack and battery voltage to verify that is all good and not pulling to many amps due to low voltage. If only one cable is getting hot I would be suspect of that cable but if many of them are heating up that may indicate the cable is not the problem.
Im going out now to check,

usually the coils get hot, but I was told that is normal if I remember correctly on these carts. Maybe I misunderstood this though?

I am using it solely on the streets of my neighborhood. I dont think the brakes are sticking, when I changed them I was able to turn each one without to much force. I mean they werent spinning freely, but I could spin them with one hand.
LEMANSZ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2020, 03:58 PM   #42
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ok so here's some info....

Battery voltage : 6.47 every battery
GPS speed(half my windshield down): 13-14 mph, 15 top

Here's a weird thing, I just rode about 2 miles full throttle pretty much and I touched the cables and they are just slightly warm now, not hot?
Old 02-25-2020, 04:00 PM   #43
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Coils only get hot if current is moving through them. If you are testing at full throttle it triggers the last solenoid in the coil pack and bypasses all the resistor coils, high current will only be running through battery pack, the main solenoid, last pack solenoid, FnR switch and motor. If you went and ran it a mile at full throttle then hopped out and checked those coils they should be cool still.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:07 PM   #44
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

At 13-14 your running pretty efficiently. My stock resistor cart ran 12-13. I don’t know that slightly warm is a bad thing for a 2mi run. If your only getting hot sometimes that could be a bad connection but outside of that the resistor carts are pretty simple. If you have double checked all the battery and motor connections I would double check the solenoid connections. And always remember anytime these resistor carts are not at full throttle the motor is still trying to pull its maximum amps and that the speed control works by dissipating that energy as heat through those coils...the slower you are the more heat your gonna produce.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:24 PM   #45
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Daddy View Post
At 13-14 your running pretty efficiently. My stock resistor cart ran 12-13. I don’t know that slightly warm is a bad thing for a 2mi run. If your only getting hot sometimes that could be a bad connection but outside of that the resistor carts are pretty simple. If you have double checked all the battery and motor connections I would double check the solenoid connections. And always remember anytime these resistor carts are not at full throttle the motor is still trying to pull its maximum amps and that the speed control works by dissipating that energy as heat through those coils...the slower you are the more heat your gonna produce.
Im starting to feel like this might be part of my issue. I have been afraid to really go full throttle at all times. Its my first cart so Im being careful all the time. I mean the speed is def better then I thought, I wasnt sure what makes it good but its always felt decent. I mean with half the windshield up, I guess its better then I thought.

Right now when i got back the cables seemed warm and coils as well, but the terminals on the batteries werent hot at all.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:32 PM   #46
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Oh and the cart runs smoothly from start to stop. I hear all 5 clicks in stages for the cart to get going. I checked all the bolts and everything is tight on the solenoids. David from Revolution told me to change them all, smartest thing i did honestly so they are all brand new. The connectings of the wires and bolts to the motor are rusty, but nothing seems to be running hot at those points so no issue there.

I mean is it possible, that this older cart just maybe runs a bit warmer then most newer style carts?
Old 02-25-2020, 06:58 PM   #47
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Those carts do not like to be run slowly for any length of time.

I would drive it like I stole it for a few days the way it is. Charge it every time you get off of it if you can. Make sure it is plugged in every night.

I think you have it like it is supposed to be.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:35 PM   #48
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yeah I think thats what I am gonna do, push it a bit and stop babying it so much. I do the same thing to my truck, used to be a speed maniac and now I just want to slow down to much lol. Now how can I convince my wife new wheels and tires is for the better for this household and OUR little cart lol???????
Old 02-25-2020, 10:55 PM   #49
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEMANSZ20 View Post
Yeah I think thats what I am gonna do, push it a bit and stop babying it so much. I do the same thing to my truck, used to be a speed maniac and now I just want to slow down to much lol. Now how can I convince my wife new wheels and tires is for the better for this household and OUR little cart lol???????
If I could tell you how to convince your wife to do anything, Bill Gates would be shining my shoes hoping I would give him advice.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:37 PM   #50
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
If I could tell you how to convince your wife to do anything, Bill Gates would be shining my shoes hoping I would give him advice.

Yes a question of questions
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car