lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2020, 11:39 PM   #1
Mreidy
Not Yet Wild

Default 09 Precedent not starting

Hey there, my 09 Precedent isn’t starting. Batteries are showing 48v, the pedal clicks (MCOR?), but I don’t get that familiar hum when I put it in reverse and, well, it doesn’t move. No click from under the seat (solenoid?). Thoughts?

Possibly of note, I tried to install a light kit and voltage reducer earlier this week, and the voltage reducer failed during use (showed 12v output prior to connecting everything). That’s all been disconnected.

Where do I start troubleshooting? Did I break something? Fair warning, I’m not a dude, but I really want to learn how to do all this myself. This is my first project in the “things that move” category, so you might need to break this down to newbie level for me. Thanks in advance :)
Mreidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2020, 07:44 AM   #2
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 09 Precedent not starting

I would start with fully charging up the pack. 48 volts is dead.
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:25 AM   #3
Mreidy
Not Yet Wild

Thank you, charged overnight. Batteries show 58v.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:34 AM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Did you know to put the cart in Tow mode and unhook the batteries before putting the voltage reducer on your cart.

If you had any sparks you may have blown the controller, or hopefully just blown a fuse.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:46 AM   #5
Mreidy
Not Yet Wild

Yes, I put the cart in tow, unhooked the batteries, connected the voltage reducer with ring terminals, everything looked good (had a smidge over 12v on the output side), connected everything, lights worked perfectly. For about 3 minutes. Then they sputtered off. I immediately checked output voltage on the reducer and it was 48v, which tells me that the reducer failed during use. Panicked, disconnected everything, now I’m trying to make sure everything else is ok before I try with another voltage reducer. Thank you!
Old 02-28-2020, 09:46 AM   #6
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

That sounds like you did it right. So you likely have a blown fuse. I'm not up to date on precedents, hopefully someone will chime in and help you find the fuse.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:55 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

There is a fuse by the controller. I think there are two back there. One should be a regular blade fuse, the other is a glass fuse in a yellow in-line holder.

Where did you hook up the reducer to? Wire colors, general area?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:02 PM   #8
Mreidy
Not Yet Wild

Hi there, thanks for your replies. Hooked up the reducer as follows: 48v input positive (red) to positive terminal on battery 1. 48v input negative (black) to negative terminal on battery 6. 12v output positive (yellow) to red wire on bucket harness (had inline fuse on it). 12v output negative (black) capped with a butt end, black male pigtail off red wire on bucket harness connected to female pigtail below battery 6.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:00 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Are those wire colors typos?
Did you buy and install the bucket harness, or was it already there?
If you bought it what brand was it?
Usually the bucket harness 12V positive is Blue, and should be hooked to the 12+ output from the reducer.

Black is practically always a ground on these harnesses. So I don't know why yours would have a red for positive, and a red for negative.

The 48v negative from the reducer should have been hooked to the Black pigtail with the yellow bullet connector. Not connecting the reducer negative to the right place can cause some issues on precedents.
All of your negatives, 12v and 48v from the reducer and your harness can go back to the Black with yellow bullet connector by the #6 battery. They can be joined together at the reducer, or joined together at the yellow bullet connector.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:01 PM   #10
Mreidy
Not Yet Wild

The wire colors on bucket harness are funky. Bucket harness came from Wild About Carts and was part of the light kit. The 12v positive on the bucket harness started as blue and changed to red at the black pigtail. So, yes, it was blue. Partly.

So what you’re saying is...I should have joined both negatives and connected them to the pigtail by the #6 battery, rather than the 48v directly on the #6 neg terminal, and the 12v negative to the black/yellow pigtail off the blue (also known as red) wire.

How badly did I screw this up? Thanks for all your help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car