lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2020, 07:51 PM   #1
wmitchell126
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Stereo install - dual power question

Hello,

I have a 48V precedent and installing a kicker Bluetooth stereo set up and confused on the power setup. I have a converter which is ran with the negative directly to the battery and the power going through the ignition switch and then to a fuse panel. The stereo instructions says to run the yellow wire to the battery through a fuse, and run the red wire to a 12v source ignition source. Sounds like the same thing with my setup considered. Any help?
wmitchell126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2020, 10:35 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Stereo install - dual power question

Without seeing your instructions, should be the Yellow wire is the power supply for the stereo. The Red wire is the "keyed" power for On/Off.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:59 AM   #3
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

What year is your Precedent? Wondering if it has an OBC.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:43 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is pretty much universal with all car radios:

Yellow wire is the main "constant power" source that it is used to power the radio and maintain the preset memory when the radio is OFF.

Red wire is a low current "trigger" wire connected to the a switched (ignition) power source used to signal the Radio to turn ON.

If You don't care to save the presets just connect the two wires together and run to a fuse on your fuse box so the Radio comes ON with the Key Switch.

If You want to maintain the preset memory when the Radio is OFF you will need a converter that provides a "constant" and a "switched" +12v output, or just get a cheap converter wired for "always ON" and add a $5 48v coil relay activated by the key switch to provide the "switched" +12v power supply.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:23 PM   #5
wmitchell126
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakko47 View Post
What year is your Precedent? Wondering if it has an OBC.
its a 2016 48V
Old 10-20-2020, 04:25 PM   #6
wmitchell126
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
That is pretty much universal with all car radios:

Yellow wire is the main "constant power" source that it is used to power the radio and maintain the preset memory when the radio is OFF.

Red wire is a low current "trigger" wire connected to the a switched (ignition) power source used to signal the Radio to turn ON.

If You don't care to save the presets just connect the two wires together and run to a fuse on your fuse box so the Radio comes ON with the Key Switch.

If You want to maintain the preset memory when the Radio is OFF you will need a converter that provides a "constant" and a "switched" +12v output, or just get a cheap converter wired for "always ON" and add a $5 48v coil relay activated by the key switch to provide the "switched" +12v power supply.
So with me running the main power output from my 48V to 12V converter, through my ignition switch, to a fuse block - I wouldn't have a constant 12V source then right? I would have to tap into the main power wire before I get to the ignition switch then I'm thinking.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:51 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Your key switch is 48v only and it cannot power a converter directly.

If You have a 5 wire converter then it has is a low current "trigger" wire that is connected to key switch to signal it to turn ON the 12v output.

You can get started by just connecting the Yellow and Red wires together to your 12v fuse box.

The radio will be turned ON/OFF with the key switch but if it needs constant power to retain settings/preferences they will be lost when the key switch is OFF and the Radio is OFF.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:00 PM   #8
dthreatt11
Not Yet Wild

Sergio

If you don’t mind would tell what wires go to each pin on a 5 pin relay. I have a reducer and I’m gonna use a small battery to keep the memory when switch is off. Just need a little help on what goes where. Especially where do I hook the ground wire from the small battery.
dthreatt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:58 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If Your converter will be switched on/off with the key switch, the best approach would be to add a 12v relay that transfers the Radio Yellow wire to the small battery when the converter is OFF.

This is the typical 12v automotive relay and its terminal numbers:

Your small 12v battery negative goes to the same bussbar (or common connection) as all the negatives from the converter and accessories.

Add a 20/30 amp fuse to your fuse box that will power the Radio when the Converter is ON.

Relay Connections:
86 & 87: Connect to fuse box 12v (20/30 amp fuse)

30 : Yellow Radio Wire (constant power)

85: Negative from busbar

87a: 12v Positive from auxiliary battery (add fuse near battery).
Old 12-10-2020, 09:56 PM   #10
Mesquite
Not Yet Wild

I have the same question. I have a TXT 48. Will 8v work for the "always on" connection? How about 16v? I'm hoping there is a solution that doesn't require a second battery system or a second convertor.
Mesquite is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car