lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2020, 10:12 PM   #1
TheREALducy
Not Yet Wild

Default G9 running lean

I have a g9 full stock it was running well for a while then started choking out and running with half power. I have stock jetting I replaced the air cleaner, fuel filter, cleaned the carb, and set the float level. It keeps running lean. I took the main jet up a size and it is still lean. Does anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheREALducy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2020, 07:15 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 running lean

Check the pilot jet, they are notorious for clogging. I usually remove them, use a piece of small copper wire, run it through the jet a few times, spray it, blow air and reinstall. They are tiny and seem to clog with the smallest particles like sand. Then, drain and flush your fuel system to remove the gunk that caused it.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:03 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Make 1000% sure the airbox lid is completely sealed. Also make sure the plastic spacer between the carb and the head is not cracked. They crack super super easily and will cause this also. It doesn’t take much to make the engines lean out.

Also wouldn’t hurt to check the valve adjustment. If the intakes are loose it won’t suck in quite as much air and can cause it to lean out.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:24 PM   #4
TheREALducy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Make 1000% sure the airbox lid is completely sealed. Also make sure the plastic spacer between the carb and the head is not cracked. They crack super super easily and will cause this also. It doesn’t take much to make the engines lean out.

Also wouldn’t hurt to check the valve adjustment. If the intakes are loose it won’t suck in quite as much air and can cause it to lean out.

I just checked that plastic carb spacer is cracked. It looks like it’s only cracked on the outside of the one stud. After pulling the carb it seems as if it’s blowing back into the intake there’s fuel residue in the hose from the air box to the carb. I lashed the valves maybe a month ago but I will check again

Old 02-07-2021, 01:09 AM   #5
TheREALducy
Not Yet Wild

I apologize for not updating. It’s still sucking air I’m pretty sure it’s a gasket issue. But I am also not getting the spark that I should. I have the parts to convert to the Chrysler ignition but I lost the thread can someone post the link on how to wire it up I’m having a bit of a mind blank at the moment

Old 02-08-2021, 06:46 AM   #6
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheREALducy View Post
I apologize for not updating. It’s still sucking air I’m pretty sure it’s a gasket issue. But I am also not getting the spark that I should. I have the parts to convert to the Chrysler ignition but I lost the thread can someone post the link on how to wire it up I’m having a bit of a mind blank at the moment

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...ysler+ignition

The G9 is extremely sensitive to any intake air leaks. The foam seal between the top and bottom halves of the air cannister must be there. The carb and manifold gaskets have to be in good condition and of course the manifold can't be cracked.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:47 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Also, if you HAVE spark the ignitor is very likely not your issue. If the spark is just weak it’s probably more likely to be a weak coil. The ignitor just tells the coil WHEN to fire. The coil does all the work. It’s much easier to replace, and if it’s bad then converting to The Chrysler setup isn’t going to make much difference. You can use a Chrysler coil as well with the Chrysler system though.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:30 AM   #8
TheREALducy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help, I’ve been dealing with the cold and snow in the Midwest so workings been a bit slow. Gonna change the coil and seal the airbox in the next few days fingers crossed that’s my issue

Old 02-21-2021, 08:52 PM   #9
TheREALducy
Not Yet Wild

So I sealed the airbox and it still wasn’t right I ended up doing the Chrysler cdi swap today. It was my cdi box this thing rallies now all through the rev range so she’s all good.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha