lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2020, 08:57 PM   #1
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Can someone explain the G1 ignition system

Finding techs that worked on these carts is getting fewer and far between. As simple as the G1 is the ignition is pretty complex and I was hoping there was someone here that could break it down for us, possibly some kind of flow chart from ignition switch to pedal and stator. How the system sometimes produces spark in one direction and not the other. Tips on troubleshooting even

Heck a good explanation of the cranking system would be great too. I turn wrenches and understand engines but this bidirectional electrical system is not something I’m used to

I attached a wiring diagram but I am on my phone so I’m unsure on it’s quality
Attached Images
File Type: gif 9929251C-FB13-48A1-AB89-FAC06A429B5F.gif (60.9 KB, 0 views)
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2020, 02:34 PM   #2
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Can someone explain the G1 ignition system

Anyone?
Old 01-04-2021, 09:46 PM   #3
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I was really hoping someone could chime in on this one.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:10 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I'm not a tech, but I sure can fix a G1. Are you having an issue that needs fixed? Or are you wanting someone to explain how the entire ignition system works? I'd love to help, but not sure I can provide a flow chart or any kind of diagram. I do, however, have a factory service manual that I can reference for you.

Starting/Charging
The G1 basically has two starter systems that work with the same starter gen. That's the only part that is "dual", basically there are two different circuits for spinning the starter/gen. Forward is counter clockwise. Reverse is clockwise. There are two sets of circuits, one for each, coming from the battery, then there is two energizing circuits routed through the forward reverse circuit that decides which solenoid to activate. Once spinning in the forward direction (CCW) the generator produces amperage to charge the battery, not sure if it will charge in reverse? (CW)? There is also a voltage regulator of some kind that will sense when voltage is being produced by the higher rpm spinning of the starter/gen, and it also has circuitry that opens the "start" circuit loop to prevent the "starter" from energizing.

Ignition
The ignition system is just one system, but it does have two pulsar coils under the flywheel, one to the right, one to the left. These are responsible for sending the spark signal based on crank position. So you do have two devices sending signal to the coil, but one coil, one plug, one CDI (igniter module). So it's not really a dual system either.

Hope that helps?

Flow Chart (amateur attempt in simple terms)

1. Key On Forward- turns on the ignition system and selects the CCW direction solenoid circuit to be used (low amperage circuits)

2. Accelerator Pedal Down- the plunger switch (low amperage) closes the circuit to the CCW solenoid, "click", then in turn closes the circuit and sends 12vdc to the starter (high amperage circuit) in the CCW direction, cart engine will spin. The CCW pulsar coil (I believe the left one?) is then sending signal to fire the coil and start the engine. Accelerator pedal controls the carburetor through the governor linkage and in turn controls the rpm of the engine.

3. Accelerator Pedal Up- the plunger switch opens the same circuit and cuts power to the ignition system, which grounds the coil and it ceases to produce spark, causing the engine to stop running.

4. Key on Reverse, same procedure except the opposite solenoid and opposite pulsar coil.

5. During the running phase the cdi circuits are also being used and fed by the same 12vdc system running through the accelerator pedal plunger switch. Don't ask me how the CDI works....that's above my pay grade

IF YOU ARE A YAMAHA TECH AND YOU ARE READING THIS, PLEASE GO EASY ON ME LOL

FEEL FREE TO CORRECT ME AND PUT ME IN MY PLACE
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:43 PM   #5
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I'm not having issues on a cart, (not as of yet as but i did just buy 3) knock on wood I really just wanted some clairification for my self and others to help properly diagnose these old carts. I can toss parts at it until i figure it out because i have spares but not everyone has that.

I understand the ignition to some degree but not fully. Theres actually not 2 pulsar coils but 1 pulsar coil and one source coil. how they work and flow in both directions is where it gets foggy. where it also gets me is one of these coils can go bad and the cart will run in one direction and not the other, when to me it should cut both both.

maybe i just need to study to the wiring diagram more
Old 06-18-2021, 07:05 AM   #6
AUTOMAN
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

It is an A/C CDI type.
Source coil provides power to a diode bridge which feeds a capacitor for ignition source.
Pulsar coil is trigger coil trigger Thyristor that sends capacitor power to iggy coil.
AUTOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:00 AM   #7
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTOMAN View Post
It is an A/C CDI type.
Source coil provides power to a diode bridge which feeds a capacitor for ignition source.
Pulsar coil is trigger coil trigger Thyristor that sends capacitor power to iggy coil.
any chance you could lay that out in laymens terms and with a possible flow chart
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha