lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-14-2020, 04:11 PM   #1
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default G1 moving before it starts

I've been working on a G1 trying to get the bugs out. Last things to fix are forward solenoid replacement and the cart moving with the starter/generator.
I took the clutch off and it moves out about 3/8 in wider than the belt now and has no rust on it or center shaft. I just replaced the old belt, that looked to be original, and even with the new belt the s/g moves the cart by itself before the motor kicks off.
Isn't the belt supposed to slip, slide, or not grab before the motor catches and revs up?
I've looked and can't see an adjustment slot to move engine back to loosen the belt.
49ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-14-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 moving before it starts

Brand new belts often need some drive time to wear in. It's common for the cart to move a little with a new belt.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:03 PM   #3
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It moved with the old belt. I had hoped it would stop with a new belt.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:16 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

How about if you hold the brake with your other foot?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:37 AM   #5
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It pushes through the brake. I've tried that and the s/g out does the brakes and moves the cart. I'd hate to just run it up against a tree and run it till it fixes itself.
Which brings me to the basic question on G1's, will they sit still while the starter/generator runs?
Old 12-15-2020, 02:35 PM   #6
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

What clutch do you have? If its a stock Yamaha clutch have you checked the bearing in the center? My bearing was crunchy and my cart would rock a little before it fired up.
dezrcr822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 03:51 PM   #7
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I don't know what clutch it is. I do know the center shaft is solid machined smooth appr. 1 in plus with no bearing for the belt to roll on. The sheaves slide in and out freely now after I cleaned it up and greased the bushings in the outer sheave thru the zerk.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:04 PM   #8
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I got frustrated, and took the old belt and put the toothed part of the belt on a sander. I took it down from .41 to .39 and now I can hold the cart with the brake while I spin the starter. It still wants to move it though. Maybe one more light pass on the sander tomorrow to .38.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:25 PM   #9
martinj102
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

i did a conversion... my first, and put a larger engine on it... it has a built in starter on engine and makes the 1'wide x 37 1/2 " OD drive belt to tight ( i think).. no adjustment even after modifying the motor mount... keeps pulling even in lowest of low idle and will not slip... i think a longer belt would do the trick... however cant find one... all i find that is long enough are too wide 1 1/8" which will make the issue worse... even a slightly narrower belt might do the trick, but still be longer... do you Know of a source to get a longer belt
martinj102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:44 PM   #10
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

don't know of a source. I just accepted the fact it wasn't supposed to sit and idle. evidently its designed to either go or stop. You might check an ezgo or club belt for size.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha