lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
ANAV688
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default EZGO ID Confirmation / What If? Long Post

BEWARE, Long winded scenario to follow, Thanks for your input and time in advance.
I researched the Website most of yesterday (Great Site) and believe I saw a picture / name of it in one of (ruredy's) replies / threads, cant find the thread now.

Dash Tag = EZGO Textron Model XT-500
Serial # U.L.A. 26622
Manf. Code D2293
From what I have read this should be a 1993, yes?

Motor Tag = G.E Motors Model # 5BC48JB868
2 HP 2800 RPM 36 VOLT 55 AMP
It reads "Wound Series"
583 AU 1851
DATE CODE UGN

Coil = White Rodgers / RBM
Type 586-117111
36 Volt

Speed Controller = Curtis PMC
Model 1205-112
24-36 Volt 400 Amp
Serial 119482

Have included Pics of cart and parts, But included stats written on parts for Identification.
I disasembled the cart to get a good look at what I would be working with.

I followed the directions to test the motor (I already removed it and all electrical from cart) tested my DC input w/ digital meter at the S2 and A1 Posts.Dinosaur Car Battery charger was suppling 32 Volts. Motor would try to turn (Bump / Jump ) but would not turn. Guessing its bad?

Was told batteries were bad, havent tried charging yet, but they individually read anywhere from 0-1.5 volts.

Also recieved (3) good 12 Volt heavy duty police car batteries, but understand they are not deep cycle nor intended for use in a cart (just a bad thought)

Okay, That was the Meat, Now here is the rest.
I already have the gas cart, so time is in my favor, to say I am frugle is the understatement of the decade. I AM DOWNRIGHT CHEAP!

I Do Have:
Above Average Electrical skills
Good Mechanical Skills
A Wire Feed Welder with Beginner Skills
A Clue (not according to my wife)
Time
Tons of ideas for this cart (of which most are bad)
No knowledge of Electric Golf Carts and part interchangeability.

Would like any (semi-positive) input / feedback / lessons learned from you (The Pro's) on... What would you do if you were starting over.

I belive if I restore this to new but stock conditions, the investment At Best will only break even in a year or two of use.
I also belive if I do sell it in a year or two, to be ahead of the investment I would need to upgrade to:
More speed / or Tourqe Motor
Better ESC
Nice lift / tire pkg.
New body with graphics wrap or custom paint
Quality Batteries vice Bargain Basement
Ect. ect. Slightly more bucks for higher quality parts

I have a Troy Built Rider w/ 17.5 HP Briggs Motor (complete mower / drive train) that I would sacrifice to turn this into gas if it would be worth the time, Anyone done this before? or should I dump this thought?

I am 50 / 50 on 1) Sweet Budget restore (New motor, batteries, electrical to support better motor, body, lift (everything) Or
#2) Old school Rockabilly style (same new components, but axels over springs to lower and go after old school custom look for car shows) Has anyone done this? Have lessons learned or Pics of doing this?

Lastly for now, for those possibly interested, if you like to barter / trade for parts I would need. I am located near West Palm Beach Fl, can travel south and do go as far as Orlando every couple of months. (this includes site sponsers / dealers with great prices on new and slightly used bargains.
I have a lot of toys I could part with for the right parts. I.E. Pool Table, Wood working tools, Laptop, Canon SLR Digital Camera, Riding lawn mower, Meucci Pool Sticks, just to name a few. Doubt I will part with the El Camino or Motor but you never know.
I have also been known (on Special Ocassions) to part with my cash to support these ventures, I will keep my eyes on the boards once I learn what parts I need.

I got the cart for $50 Bucks, so anything I do I really cant go wrong.
If you get bored, Identification confirmation would be greatly appreciated.
Links to threads that would help in the restore process / maintainence manual also greatly appriciated.
Any info or links to Part interchangeabilty and how to test if my other electrical components are working would be a great help also.

Thanks Tracy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1021.jpg (41.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1022.jpg (52.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1035.jpg (81.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1029.jpg (40.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1024.jpg (45.2 KB, 7 views)
ANAV688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
ANAV688
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO ID Confirmation / What If? Update

Found out Old Ironsides the Car battery charger was putting out 32 volts, but not enough cranking amps to turn the cart motor while I was working on another project.

I Hooked up (1) of the 3 heavy duty 12 Volts I got with the cart and the motor turned just fine.

Am still looking for a troubleshooting / testing guide to see if any or all of the other electrical components are working or not.

As always any Input / help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tracy
ANAV688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO