lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
k_silbernagel
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1989 gas/oil mixture

I just bought a 1989 ez go and i want to convert it to just mixing gas can you do that? and What should i mix the fuel and oil ratio at?
k_silbernagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 gas/oil mixture

The correct ratio is 128:1. Yes I know that sounds very lean but that is what the book says. This makes your life easier as there are 128 fluid ounces to the gallon so you simply add 1 ounce of oil to one gallon of gasoline. (One exception, if you have just rebuilt the engine then the first tank should be mixed at 40:1) There is a temptation to say a little more won't hurt but here are three reasons why it will.

1. Unlike a four stroke there is no pump to circulate the lubricant, it relies on the crankshaft and gravity to slosh it around. If you ever look inside your crankcase you will see two small passage ways above each main journal. If you over mix your gasoil then the solution becomes more viscous there is a risk that over time you will clog up those passages and the bearings will get starved of oil.
2. Excess oil will not get burned, it will simply pass through the cylinder and collect in your muffler. Over time your muffler will get choked, reducing your performance until your cart dies.
3. All that unburned oil is bad for the environment.

Finally be aware that it is not sufficient to simply add oil and gas to your fuel tank. To ensure proper mixing you need to add the oil to your gas can and agitate vigorously. Many two cycle gas tanks have a thick black sludge in the bottom which is the oil that never mixed.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
k_silbernagel
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

so it is not a new motor so i just add 128 ounces of two stroke oil to one gallon of gas? what kind of two stroke oil should i use? also if i pull that oil pump all the way off do i need to reseal the hole where the pump was?
Old 04-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
casper4203
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Read it again
casper4203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

1oz. of oil per gallon = 128:1 .If you run it real hard for long periods,you can up the oil to 1-1/2 oz./gal.(I do this since mine runs hard at high rpm).You can remove the pump and plug the port on the carb where the oil-line hooks.Nothing else needs to be done.Hope this helps
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_silbernagel View Post
so it is not a new motor so i just add 128 ounces of two stroke oil to one gallon of gas? what kind of two stroke oil should i use? also if i pull that oil pump all the way off do i need to reseal the hole where the pump was?
1 ounce of oil per gallon of gas. It really does not matter what 2 stroke oil you use just go to Walmart or your favorite auto accessory store. You will need to block off the tube that goes to the elbow behind the carburetor. You can either replace the banjo bolt with a regular bolt or snip the oil pipe leaving about an inch and with some mastic drive a tight fitting screw into the pipe.

Dave
Old 04-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #7
k_silbernagel
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

dave, i like your cart, where did you get your lift at and how big is it. also what can i do tomake it go faster. i got it running
Old 04-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #8
racin161
Gone Wild

NOT DAVE here but don't waste your time or money on the short belt.Did it and not the answer in my case. Think I'll shim the clutches for my app. but throw it in there Dave I'll be reading.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #9
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Thank you for the compliments. I got the lift kit from ebay, actually from this seller.
http://cgi.ebay.com/EZ-GO-GAS-GOLF-C...#ht_500wt_1156
I was very pleased with the result. It was easy to fit and although I am no welder it looked well made. The tires are Fox 22x11x8 I searched the internet and found them at a good price already mounted to the rims. If you go that route make sure that you get offset rims as the fat tires will not clear the shock absorbers on standard rims.

With regard to speed there really is not a lot that you can do. The Robin 2PG is what it is. When I rebuilt mine I used both the top and bottom end kit so the engine is pretty tight and has 140 psi compression. I also decided that dicking around with a 26 year carburetor was a waste of time and $99 was an investment that I never regretted. Your engine will suffer if the muffler is even partially blocked so I would recommend that you light a big old fire and put the muffler on top for at least 30 minutes to burn out the carbon. Many folks recommend the HEI ignition mod but I am not sure what the return on investment would be. Certainly if my pulsar gave out I would go that route with a matching coil but for now the OEM equipment is still working. Of course larger tires will increase speed but at the cost of lower torque and hill climbing ability. This is where the shorter belt comes into play as it should (and does in my case) reduce the gearing.
To be honest a good little Robin 2PG should get you up to 20 mph (ish) and that is plenty fast enough for the somewhat inadequate EZGO braking system. Certainly on my community there are no other standard carts that can beat it and as such I am a big fan of the little 2 cycle engine.
Dave
Old 04-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

My cart has a stock 2pg.with a open-element air filter.5" lift,22x11x8 tires.Govenor removed.The Drive clutch is shimmed 3/8",The Driven is shimmed 3/16".The stock belt is still in place(short belt does not work with clutches shimmed).The cart runs 23mph,gets there fairly quik and can maintain it pretty good too,even off-road.I have been told by many that the best 1 improvement is a 28-30mm carb. compared to the stock 18mm.I havent' gotten one yet to try.I do "Strongly-Recommend" the 1-1/2oz per gal. mix if you run flat-out for extended periods as i do.It does not smoke ever,I've had the same plug in it for 2 seasons,its' perfect.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO