lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
DJBlade
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Perfect beach buggy - Ezgo or Club Car??

I second the idea of corrosion and rust being a problem on the EZGO. Even on some of the precedents, the bolts that are on the carts are nearly destroyed due to the higher salt content in the air on all the carts I work on. Stay away from the EZGO if near the ocean.
DJBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
ncfenceguy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

A friend of mine is a new and used golf cart dealer and last year he told me, " I"m a Club car dealer, but if I wanted aftermarket up-grades you can't beat a EZGO"
I don't have a dog in this fight because I'm not brand loyal but that is what he told me.
ncfenceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:51 AM   #13
lgbarne
Gone Wild

Club Car

I tell you, having that much rustable steel (EZGO) staying in such a salty environment would be a showstopper for me, if I have an option... and you do. I would expect the CC option will be a little more expensive, but in your case, it would be the only option in my book. I had mine built for the woods and muddy trails, and the aluminum frame was the key deciding feature.
lgbarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #14
rocknrone
Romans 1 : 16 Unashamed

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbarne View Post
I had mine built for the woods and muddy trails, and the aluminum frame was the key deciding feature.

I built both of mine for the woods/hunting, and you're right, the aluminum frame was the deciding factor. I wanted steel that wouldn't bend so easy!I just make sure I wash off any mud when I'm done riding, and I keep them inside my garage. I've had my Ezgo ST Sport 2 gas since brand new in 2008, I live 30 miles from the coast, and I haven't had any issues with rust.
Now to the op's question: I like ezgo; I'm an ezgo guy; they are easier to upgrade; but for the beach and a cruiser, I'd probably say go with the aluminum frame Club Cars so it won't rust on you. I do, however, think that the statement that you'll have to replace the entire frame on the Ezgo every couple of years is a little far fetched. I know a couple that have kept their Ezgo txt at Myrtle Beach year round for a couple years now at a campground, and they haven't had any issues with rust yet. If you intend to do any serious off roading, however, I'd get an Ezgo so the frame won't bend so easy!
On second thought:
IMHO, this is like a Ford vs. Chevy discussion. We can sit here and find reasons to like one and hate the other from either side. In other words, I can convince myself anything's better than the other, if I really like one better than the other; so I'd say, test drive both vehicles, and buy the one you really like!
rocknrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 AM   #15
D.L.
Not Yet Wild

Google action buggies and call Chris he's in willis north of conroe and can hook you up. I think he even has a weekend place down on the west end of galveston. Ive bought 3 precedents from him and hes the cheapest around. For what your doing the precedent will be perfect and you dont have to spend much to get 20 mph in fact he programs all his carts to high speed which is like 19... bigger tires and your there plus some. Good Luck
D.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #16
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

rocknrone, I see your point about the strength and yes I agree steel is stronger than aluminum. But rust is the issue, and rusty steel is NOT stronger than aluminum. Commercial airlines are made from aluminum and they're plenty strong enough. I'd like to point out that the size of a Precedent aluminum frame is significantly larger than any E-Z-GO frame I've ever seen. Not sure what the measurement is on the EZGO box frame but it's nowhere close to the 3" X 2" that is found on a Precedent. I've been around them ever since they came out in 2004 and I've only seen one bend, it was hit head on by a truck. I'd put money on it that in a stress test it would hold up better than an E-Z-GO steel frame. Oh and about the Chevy vs Ford thing.. you're exactly right. It's all a matter of a personal opinion. As for me, I refuse to believe that an EZGO is half the vehicle a Club Car is in any aspect. I've owned and driven both. No comparison to me. I don't like anything at all about the EZGO. 36V is subpar, the suspension is soft, I prefer it firm. When lifted it feels like it's extremely top heavy. The body roll is terrible. The brakes are squishy, the turning radius is awful. On top of that, if you don't keep the frame clean and painted, it rusts. No thanks
Not trying to start an issue with you here but I think you may have gotten the wrong impression of the strength of a Club Car frame.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #17
CoastalCart
Not Yet Wild

You guys are really helping me out. I have a '65 thunderbird, and from time I've spent on the hotrod boards, it's pretty funny how close the Ezgo/Club Car argument is to Ford/Chevy. I did like the suggestion to just go drive a few and compare.

That being said, on the Club Cars, it looks like the DS is classic. And do I understand correctly that the guts are similar to the Precedent's? Any specific years that are good or that I should avoid? I.e. when were the big improvements made?

Thanks guys!
CoastalCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #18
rocknrone

E-Z-GO

I don't know what would happen in that stress test, but I'd be curious to see. I've seen a few posts on here recently where Club Cars and Ezgos both had bent frames due to wrecks, but the damage seems to be more severe on the aluminum frames. I know I'm glad my wife's car has a steel frame to transport my child and her back and forth to work and school instead of an aluminum framed one. My response was directed towards lgbarne who stated he got the Club Car because of the aluminum frame to use as a mud/trail riding machine. Personally, I thought that was reverse logic. I actually told the op to get a Club Car due to the rust factor. Personally, I'm just glad to see he's thinking to buy American instead of some Chinese machine. Either way is fine with me. I have no vested interest or investment of time or money with either company.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:01 PM   #19
rocknrone

E-Z-GO

Not trying to start anything here either Tahoe. I respectfully disagree, but I want this forum to help people, not have us hash something out in a Ford vs Chevy type argument. I'm a Ford man too. Can't you tell? lol. I will go back home to the ezgo section. Good luck with your cart purchase and decision Coastal Cart.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #20
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalCart View Post
You guys are really helping me out. I have a '65 thunderbird, and from time I've spent on the hotrod boards, it's pretty funny how close the Ezgo/Club Car argument is to Ford/Chevy. I did like the suggestion to just go drive a few and compare.

That being said, on the Club Cars, it looks like the DS is classic. And do I understand correctly that the guts are similar to the Precedent's? Any specific years that are good or that I should avoid? I.e. when were the big improvements made?

Thanks guys!
Yes it is. I'm sure I'd love your classic Ford but I'm a Chevy guy at heart 100%.... but back to the topic... All Precedents have the IQ system from 04-08. In 08 they were available with IQ OR Excel. Individual users won't see much difference at all. A little more harsh motor braking with Excel. No biggie. Try and avoid the 04-05 Precedents if you can. By 06 all the bugs were worked out and they were pretty much like they're being built today. Good quality stuff. However, an 04-05 that has been well maintained may have been updated with the newer OBC or the newer pedal group or whatever the case may be. Either way it's a good cart, but not as good as an 06+. My personal cart is an 06 and I haven't had a single problem with anything in 2 years.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car