lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Default Itchin for 48 v's

ok, I have a real itch to get to 48 now. This really never stops does it

Have 6 new 6v's now.

I know this questions sounds stupid, but I want to go to 6 8's instead of 8 6's - how will I run factory lights? Do I simply hook them up to a reducer?

Also - what's the chance of selling my 6 v's and charger to help recoup the cost.

thanks dudes!
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

Default Re: Itchin for 48 v's

8-6's will perform better than 6-8's as far as runtime. If you got new 6's already get 2 more and a 48v charger and then your in there like swimwear. Controller change will be necessary also. And no, this sickness never really stops.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

I see used batteries and chargers briefly show up on Craigslist- must mean they are snatched up pretty readily. Do a search to see what they are going for in your neck of the woods.

To run your lights, you have 3 options:

Voltage reducer to take the whole pack down to the 12v to run your lights. This will affect the overall run time when you run your lights, however.

Run the lights off of one set of 2 batteries- not recommended as you will affect the life of those two batteries plus your overall run time.

Run the lights off of a separate, standard 12v battery. This is the preferred method of powering all 12v accessories because deep cycle 12v batteries are relatively inexpensive, can power your stereo, lights, etc., and do not affect the power or run time by tapping into your cart batteries. Just keep a 12v charger on it one a week or so or battery tender and enjoy worry free 12v.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Hate to use the bagwell for batteries - if I could fit all 8 6's under seat I would go that route - but that's my doggies seat, and she has vetoed that move..

How much harm in adding a 12 volt golf cart battery to make 48?
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No harm if you charge it separately. Also No need to change your Alltrax it just needs to be programmed for 48v
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dela View Post
Hate to use the bagwell for batteries - if I could fit all 8 6's under seat I would go that route - but that's my doggies seat, and she has vetoed that move..

How much harm in adding a 12 volt golf cart battery to make 48?
You are a series if I remember right? Scotty squeezed 8 batteries under the seat of one of his carts but I believe it was a PDS model.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

I will have 8 under the seat of my Melex, but I had to fab the trays and it is tight to the point where controller and charger will have to go elsewhere. Luckily I have a full trunk, but I could get creative and find some space in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I put 8 batts under the seat in my '98 series TXT. Modifying teh FNR was the hardest part. I more or less copied ScottyB's mod.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:01 AM   #9
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

A reversing contactor will allow you to put a f/r switch in the dash and eliminate the switch by your leg. You still might have to relocate the controller and solenoid though.

Scottyb, I didn't know that a 36v controller can be reprogrammed for 48v. Can a 48v be changed to 72v?
Old 07-26-2012, 04:02 AM   #10
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

Oops, double post....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO