lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo rear end gear Question!!

Mathematically, if you were getting 21MPH on 18" tall tires, you ought to be getting a bit over 25MPH with 22" tires.

The is no speed governor that I know of, unless it is in the programming of the 500A controller.

The bigger tires are going to draw more amps, so it is possible you are hitting an amp limit if the controller's max amps is turned down some. I don't know, just a possibility.

Or it could be some resistance in a cable, contacts or connection.

Do you have a DVM battery meter?
If so, connect a handheld DVM between M- and B+ terminals on controller.
When flat out, the voltage between M-and B+ on controller should equal the battery pack voltage, or at least withing a volt or two of it.

If it isn't, there is a voltage drop across something in the high current circuit that is stealing voltage from the motor, which robs the motor of amps.

Also, feel the cables and stuff. if any are getting hot, that is a sign of excessive resistance.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #12
archer161
Not Yet Wild

For another update I have called Schafer Drive Lines, which makes the rear ends for Ezgo carts now, they purchased the product from Dana corp. I have spoke to them and they have advised me they make a 17.1 ratio gears that will fit in my Ezgo txt 2007 model. I have ordered them and will be replacing my 12.44:1 gears soon and will let you know how it works out. If my figures are right and johnnieB can tell me this should give me a good torque jump with the 22" tires!!
archer161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

According to my spreadsheet, if you were getting 21Mph on you 18" tires with the stock 12.44:1 differential, you ought to be getting close to 19MPH with 22" tires and a 17.1:1 differential, plus a 12% gain in torque.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
archer161
Not Yet Wild

That sounds great!!! Less speed and more power with the bigger tires!! I have went everywhere i wanted to go and even in muddy conditions!! All I plan on doing is trying to figure out while I'm replacing the gears is how to lock the drive line together to give positive traction!! If anyone has done that yet could give me some pointers would be great!!!!
Old 10-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #15
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

archer, I know they make posi kits in both factory and aftermarket. I just bought a replacement rear for my cart with the factory posi already in it. I need to pull it apart and check to make sure he didn't just weld it but we will see...
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

That is completely out of my comfort zone.
I'm into troubleshooting the electrical stuff and I do a little number crunching with tire sizes and gear ratios, but have seen the inside of a differential since I was a teenager, nearly 50 years ago.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
archer, I know they make posi kits in both factory and aftermarket. I just bought a replacement rear for my cart with the factory posi already in it. I need to pull it apart and check to make sure he didn't just weld it but we will see...
Contrary to my last post, I do understand how they work.
Drive the cart in tight circles and you'll soon find out if the gears are welded.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #18
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Contrary to my last post, I do understand how they work.
Drive the cart in tight circles and you'll soon find out if the gears are welded.
Very true.. But right now the axle is sitting on the rear foot rest of the cart. Too many irons in the fire to get to it. I am going to put a hub on each side and see if me and a bud can spin them in opposite directions before I crack the seal. If it is welded, the answer will be no..

As for the rear ends in these, they are pretty simple compaired to car. No shims or anything, they just pretty much bolt in..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #19
archer161
Not Yet Wild

So when i get these new gears and put them in i can find a posi kit that will go in my ezgo rear end right???? Now the posi kit your talking about if it spins different directions then it should turn very good and if i weld it then my turning will not be very good at all for hard surfaces, but shouldn't matter much for dirt surfaces right???
Old 10-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #20
ryang355
Not Yet Wild

You ordered the Gears directly from Schafer Gear?
ryang355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO