lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
Cheesesteak
Not Yet Wild

Default Rear axle issues - need help . . .

Picked up a 2005 Ezgo txt pds a few weeks ago - had a clicking in the drivers side rear axle that turned out to be a bearing problem.

Jacked up the cart today and I pulled the tire and axle right out. I saw and grabbed some of the old bearings out - along with other pieces of shredded metal.

Where to start? Are the bearings a local auto shop buy or are they specialty items? It looks like there's an outer clip still in the axle housing - what else in in there? Do I need to take the cover off the diff to check for more bearings?

What's involved with this repair? I've read up a bit on it - will I need a shop to press the new bearings on? I also guess I should do both sides?

A parts list would be a great start.

Also - can I jack the cart up under the diff? I'd like to block both wheels and originally just jacked under the leaf spring - don't want to collapse the diff. Trying to avoid more work for myself . . .

Thanks!
Cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2012, 04:23 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rear axle issues - need help . . .

Go to the Stickies and download the Owner's, Service, and Parts manuals.

There are a number of posts where folks have done this and photographed each step. I have a 1998 and decided to replace all bearings in the axle, rear-end, and motor. None required pressing bearings in or out.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Cheesesteak
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. I've looked around and think I've got an idea of how to fix this.

Is this the correct bearing kit? argh . . . can't post links . . . . parsing it out:

www (dot) shopezgo (dot) com/products/Bearing-Shaft-Kit-for-Electric-Axle (dot) html

Anything else I should be looking into while doing this fix . . . while I've got it disassembled? I'm going to do both side of rear axle.

Thanks -
Old 09-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

this break down is of an earlier model, but the axle assembly parts are the same. good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DANA AXLE, 1988-95, 28148G01.pdf (3.93 MB, 0 views)
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It's a simple repair once you get the old race out. Remember the Axle nut torques to 100-140 Ft pds. The wide range is so you can get the cotter pin in ...never back up to get the pin in. No need for a press, A good vice and a long 3/4 gas pipe nipple will do the job.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
Cheesesteak
Not Yet Wild

Still waiting for my parts to arrive but started the disassembly today. Snap rings, old bearing races, etc all out - but I can't get the old oil seal out of the axle. How do I remove it????

Thanks
Old 09-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
Cheesesteak
Not Yet Wild

They're out. Waiting for bearing kits and will reassemble - hopefully tomorrow. Had a tough time getting the bearing off the "good" side - debating whether to get the bearings pressed on . . .

For those that haven't had them pressed - how did you get them to seat all the at down?
Old 09-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
PBB
Getting Wild

I have used a block of wood and a good sized mallet with the axle in a vice. Just make sure you dont damage the sealed portion of the bearing.
PBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:34 AM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Wood and/or properly sized sockets will work.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have simply put the axle vertical in a large bench mounted vise. Coat the inner bearing surface and axle with any light oil. Drop the bearing onto the axle. Place the old bearing or inner piece of your destroyed bearing on top of the new bearing. Place a 6 inch 3/4 pipe nipple over the axle and use a hammer to drive the bearing down onto it's seat.

I have done many this way.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO