lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
Duk Dog
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Replace batteries

I think I know the answer to my quesion, just needing conformation. When I bought my cart a couple months ago I checked the battery codes and they all were 2007 battereis. When they are fully charged they read between 38.2 and 38.7 usually. When I am driving it the voltage goes down to 36.7. When i let up on the throttle it goes back up to the fully charges reading. I said all that to ask this - should i just go ahead and replace the batteries since they are 5 years old and I truely do not know how well they were taken care of?

As always thanks in advance for your wisdom!
Duk Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
brad2388
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Replace batteries

Well with the throttle pressed thats a loaded battery pack. You really cant tell from voltages from loading them other than a completely dead battery in the pack. How long does it last between charges is the key here. How long can you ride before the voltage goes below 40-50 percent charge level unloaded?
brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
Duk Dog
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I really do not know to be honest. I have only driven it for about 15 or 20 minutes tops testing the new controller, solenoid and cam switch.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Nate
Gone Wild

You can drive until the pack reaches 33V under load, if this distance suits your needs then don't replace the pack.
Note: There is no reason to run the batteries to 33V before charging, keep them charged and keep doing what you've been doing, it seems to be working.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
You can drive until the pack reaches 33V under load, if this distance suits your needs then don't replace the pack.
Note: There is no reason to run the batteries to 33V before charging, keep them charged and keep doing what you've been doing, it seems to be working.
I agree with Nate. Take what he said and keep it in mind but for now don't bother yourself with worry and just use the cart as you intend too.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
Well with the throttle pressed thats a loaded battery pack. You really cant tell from voltages from loading them other than a completely dead battery in the pack. How long does it last between charges is the key here. How long can you ride before the voltage goes below 40-50 percent charge level unloaded?
But you could use a load meter and test the individual batteries if you cared to. I have a 1 year old pack and it does the same thing.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
Duk Dog
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys, I'll just keep trucking along for now and keep them charged!
Old 10-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Your "under load" voltage is useful, but the load is unknown. Variables include tire diameter, incline/decline/flat, weights and number of passengers, etc. If you could measure individual batteries under the same load, that would tell you if you have on bad battery.

As long as you keep them fully charged, and watered, you'll have judge when they need replacement based on where you ride, and how hard it is to walk home and tow the buggy back.

I got nine years out of mine, but I was never more than several miles away from home, though on a busy weekend I probably put over ten miles between charges.

Again, depends on usage, but if you choose to keep them, monitor the "under load" voltage drop over time, and that should tell you when to head home and when to buy new batteries.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like OP has a digital SoC meter.
If so, keep a State of Charge chart handy or make yourself an abbreviated one and paste on the dash, or someplace handy.

Let the batteries rest several minutes after they have been under load and the reading will match up to the chart pretty well.

You'll probably have to experiment with your own battery pack to find out how long it takes them to recover, but voltage on my pack stops climbing after about 10 minutes.

I don't want to discharge below 50%, so my plan is to head home when it gets to 75% (37.3V), but I've yet to reach that point on an outbound leg.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
Duk Dog
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

That is a good idea Johnnie B, I'll track it and see what happens.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO