lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
88ezrider
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 Ez go has voltage on the frame

My cart is wired like the picture on the left that you posted. Charger connects to front two batteries. That being said, would the most neg point be where the charger ground and neg motor cable hooks in that diagram? If so I read no voltage at all from that point to dash. I am starting to wonder if I in fact have voltage on the frame or not as I was told there was by a friend that was helping me one day. Could someone detail a test to confirm the presence of unwanted voltage, thanks I know barely enough to be a hazard.
88ezrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
88ezrider
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Btw the only reason I'm after this so hard even though you say it most likely affect operation is I do want a radio in the cart, and do not want to zap another one so thank you for your patience
Old 10-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88ezrider View Post
My cart is wired like the picture on the left that you posted. Charger connects to front two batteries. That being said, would the most neg point be where the charger ground and neg motor cable hooks in that diagram? If so I read no voltage at all from that point to dash. I am starting to wonder if I in fact have voltage on the frame or not as I was told there was by a friend that was helping me one day. Could someone detail a test to confirm the presence of unwanted voltage, thanks I know barely enough to be a hazard.
On the left diagram, both the charger connections and the motor/solenoid connections are connected to the rear batteries, so if your charger is connected to the front two batteries, something is amiss.

Perhaps, the battery pack is wired like the diagram on the right and the rest of the cart is wired like the diagram on the left.

Battery packs connected as shown in either drawing works, but you have to determine what the most negative terminal is in your battery pack is and use it (unless otherwise stipulated) for voltage measurements.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Btw the only reason I'm after this so hard even though you say it most likely affect operation is I do want a radio in the cart, and do not want to zap another one so thank you for your patience
I suspect you left out "doesn't".

Find the most negative battery terminal and attach the negative DVM lead to it
What voltage do you read when you touch the DVM's positive test to the metal dash?

If zero, move the test lead from the most negative terminal on the battery pack to the most positive one.
Now what is read when you touch the positive test lead to the dash?

I'm trying to determine if the dash is "Grounded" or if it is "Hot".
A grounded dash shouldn't have zapped the radio, but a hot one might have.

Your taillights might be grounding the cart chassis, but if it is hot, there is most likely a wire with its insulation worn off going through the frame or body someplace.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #15
88ezrider
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok here's what I found, everything appears to be wired according to the drawing that shows two micros on FnR except my charge plug is connected to the two inside front batteries. The solinoid is pulling from there as well. The rest of the batteries and FnR are as drawn oh yea the cable that runs from neg to motor is drawn at the back battery. So would swapping those connections from the front to the back battery change anything or is it in essence the same point. Sorry for my ignorance
Old 10-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #16
88ezrider
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I did the test u sakes about and neg lead to neg terminal where charger is now reads 0 volts with neg lead on positive terminal where charger is now it read 38.7 volts
Old 10-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #17
88ezrider
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This is front drivers side battery closest to FnR where charger connects
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (228.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #18
88ezrider
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Front inside passenger side battery charger and motor ground connection. These by the drawing are supposed to be on the back single batteries
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (221.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #19
88ezrider
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This is where the front connections should be and this cable should be on the front terminals. Is this correct and would changing them make any difference as far as the series being different? Simply asking because my charger plug cables won't be long enough, how could I remedie this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (195.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-22-2012, 05:51 AM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Ok here's what I found, everything appears to be wired according to the drawing that shows two micros on FnR except my charge plug is connected to the two inside front batteries. The solinoid is pulling from there as well. The rest of the batteries and FnR are as drawn oh yea the cable that runs from neg to motor is drawn at the back battery. So would swapping those connections from the front to the back battery change anything or is it in essence the same point. Sorry for my ignorance
From what I can see in the pictures you posted, your batteries are wired the same as the drawing on the right that I posted. There is no need to move any of the interconnecting cables, cables from charger port or cables to solenoid and motor.

However, the small wires are a rat's nest.

Quote:
I did the test u sakes about and neg lead to neg terminal where charger is now reads 0 volts with neg lead on positive terminal where charger is now it read 38.7 volts
Sounds like the dash (frame and body) is connected to the main negative terminal of the battery pack.

That shouldn't have caused the radio to spark. But the radio did spark, so the radio chassis must have been somehow connected to a positive terminal in the battery pack.

------------------

Sorting out this dilemma remotely is next to impossible, so the best solution is for you to find someone local that can straighten out the rat's nest of wiring attached to the main positive battery terminal, loose wires hanging over the side of the batteries and attached to terminals not shown in the pictures posted.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO