lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #21
gulfrunner
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: wiring 12v lights to 36v EZGO system

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
NO !! your extra battery is not to be wired into your 36v system !! it is charged with a separate 12v charger it will really screw things up even jumping it into system
The battery is NOT going to be wired into the 36 volt system. The question was if I could charge the extra battery with the 36 volt charger for the cart and it is not going to be a every time thing. Can you give me more reason not to hook it up. I am open to all opinions and suggestion.
gulfrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #22
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfrunner View Post
The battery is NOT going to be wired into the 36 volt system. The question was if I could charge the extra battery with the 36 volt charger for the cart and it is not going to be a every time thing. Can you give me more reason not to hook it up. I am open to all opinions and suggestion.
no you can't charge the extra 12v battery by adding it to your 36v pack unless you take 12volts out of the pack by removing two 6v batteries .. then you have a in-balanced charged pack when you return the batteries to the pack
if you add a 12v battery to a 36v system you get 48v and a 36v charger wont bring the batteries up to max voltage .. even if you use it once it will not charge correctly .. you could charge it with a 48v charger but that's just silly ..remember some short cuts lead to dead ends ... bite the bullet and get a 12v charger to charge the extra battery
Old 08-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #23
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Crash, I'm pretty sure he's talking about paralleling the 12v aux batt to one pair of 6v in the pack, by hooking it (only while charging) to the wires that he is currently getting 12v from for lights. It actually would work, in theory, but would get stuff out of balance fairly quickly, I would think.....

OP.....don't do it......
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #24
crash test dummy

ya know i could go into a huge reply with facts as to why it wont work ... but i'm old... so i'll just say it wont work
Old 08-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #25
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
ya know i could go into a huge reply with facts as to why it wont work ... but i'm old... so i'll just say it wont work
I'm old, too, & I agree!!
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #26
gulfrunner
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
Crash, I'm pretty sure he's talking about paralleling the 12v aux batt to one pair of 6v in the pack, by hooking it (only while charging) to the wires that he is currently getting 12v from for lights. It actually would work, in theory, but would get stuff out of balance fairly quickly, I would think.....

OP.....don't do it......

I understood the first post from Knothead, I just wanted to hear another reason. I am old too, and love to hear why or what other people reasoning would be. Just cannot understand when someone says it will not work, in theory it will work 12 volts is 12 volts. Like I said it would not be an every day occurrence, I could see it would hurt doing it over a long period.
gulfrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #27
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfrunner View Post
I understood the first post from Knothead, I just wanted to hear another reason. I am old too, and love to hear why or what other people reasoning would be. Just cannot understand when someone says it will not work, in theory it will work 12 volts is 12 volts. Like I said it would not be an every day occurrence, I could see it would hurt doing it over a long period.
go for it !! let us know how you make out
Old 08-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #28
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

OK, let me take a stab at this.

Your charger puts out a certain voltage and a certain current. Your batteries are all connected together in series, which means all batteries receive the same current, but the voltage across each battery WILL vary if the batteries are imbalanced. By increasing the Amp Hour rating of two batteries, by adding the extra Amp Hours of the aux battery, they will need more amps (or time) to get to full charge. How much depends on the size of your aux battery relative to the two 6v buggy batts. Since the charger only knows the voltage of the pack, the remaining four buggy batts will take on more charge than the two that are connected to the aux bat.

If you choose to do this, I'd suggest keeping a log and rotate which set of buggy batts you connect to each time you charge the aux bat. This will equalize the pain and suffering to all six buggy batts.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #29
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The two methods that most everyone uses is either a converter or a seperate 12v battery. Why take a chance on damaging the battery pack? Cheaper to do it correctly than to take a chence and have to replace the entire pack IMO.
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #30
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

He was wanting to use an aux battery, but was hoping there was a better way to charge it than using two chargers.

I've pondered this, and the only way to really do that is to have a converter to charge the aux battery, while charging the pack. The converter would have to have additional circuitry to properly charge the aux battery AND it would have to withstand the highest voltages during the end of a charge cycle. AND, you'd have a converter, so you wouldn't need the aux battery.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
'88 ezgo, 12v lights
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO