lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #1
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Default more torque please!

I'd like some opinions on how to significantly increase the torque in my 1994, non-lifted, 36V DS. To the best of my knowledge everything is stock. It currently goes about 14 mph.

A little more speed would be nice, but my real desire is torque. I'd like to be able to have 4 people on the cart while pulling a 16' boat loaded with fuel/ice/etc, that is on a steel trailer. I don't need to do this for long distances (about 3/4 mile all on paved roads) but there are slight hills. So I'm looking for a pulling machine!

My gut tells me to upgrade to 48V, but keep the 36V motor. Is this the best way to go?

TJ
thetoddjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Default Re: more torque please!

Upgrade to 48v. Use a 400-500 amp controller. Upgrade the cables
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Along with what Sunoco said, upgrade the F/R switch to a HD one, as well as the solenoid.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
KillerCC
Call me Rich

Club Car

Sell it and buy a 48V. Cheaper in the long run.
KillerCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

The biggest cost of the upgrade would be all new 8 volt batteries. This would be less net-project-expensive if your (I am assuming) 6 volt batteries are due for replacement. If not, do you have room for 2 more 6 volt bats? Adding bats to an existing bat-pack is cheaper, however, is not recommended as it causes bat power balancing/usage/life issues. However, you obviously have room for 4 12 volt batteries, but since you want mega-torque, I would suggest staying with a 'more lead' bat option if you want extended run time. I am guessing this may be a lot of work, but perhaps not much cost for a DIY Project. Buy Tempco welding cable , connectors and crimper on-line for less than $ 150.00. HD solenoid will be less than $ 100.00. Check out ScottyB as he has excellent cost effective packages for HD FNR, HD solenoid, finished cables and controller upgrades for your project. If you want to save a couple of hundred $s on the controller, you could consider having your existing controller rebuilt to 400 - 500 amps 48 volt unit or get an already rebuilt controller with credit back for your existing controller. I have done this and have had no problems 1 year in. Check out the new cart option, as suggested, as a used cart deal here would save you a lot of time and perhaps some money if you get a decent sell price on your existing cart. Which ever way you go, the project should be a lot of fun!
rbuggies48IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car