lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
tvj503
Getting Wild

Default Best battery

My gut tells me not to start this discussion but I'd love to hear the current thinking on the best 12 volt battery. It's my turn to part with some $'s and I want to be sure I get the best bang for the buck. I lean toward Trojan but apparently Crown and US batteries are very competitive. Let the discussion begin!!!!!!!!!!
tvj503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Default Re: Best battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvj503 View Post
My gut tells me not to start this discussion but I'd love to hear the current thinking on the best 12 volt battery. It's my turn to part with some $'s and I want to be sure I get the best bang for the buck. I lean toward Trojan but apparently Crown and US batteries are very competitive. Let the discussion begin!!!!!!!!!!
That's your first mistake! "The best 12v battery" doesn't exist. You should rather get 6-6v or 6-8v (depending on cart voltage). It will maximize your run time and will extend the pack life itself.
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #3
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

The first thing your gonna hear is "skip the 12's and change to 8's for greater range, longevity and reliability". I think I just saved you six other posts with that suggestion, because...well, its what you SHOULD do.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
The first thing your gonna hear is "skip the 12's and change to 8's for greater range, longevity and reliability. I think I just saved you six other posts with that suggestion, because...well, its what you SHOULD do.
You were thinking the exact thing I posted and you posted at the same time as me as well! Weird!
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

I know, but that's because the high ranking members on this site would never speak to us again if we bought 12 volts when it was battery replacement time!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
tvj503
Getting Wild

I spoke with the folks where I bought my cart (CC Precedent 2008.5). They told me using 6 8's would require some rather expensive rewiring so that's why I chose to stay with the 12's.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #7
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
They told me using 6 8's would require some rather expensive rewiring so that's why I chose to stay with the 12's.
Hmmmm....wonder what their agenda is?....read: THIS - there are no real issues, just a bit of re-engineering in your battery box and a few extra cables because you have more batteries.

If they have implied you would need to replace your OBC, they are either mislead or have misunderstood. The OBC issue has been extensively researched by some very smart people on this site. Its a Red Herring.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:49 PM   #8
tvj503
Getting Wild

Supposedly the 2008.5 will accommodate the 6 batteries without modification. The rewiring they refer to is because the tow switch and I guess the obc is located on the rear wall in the back of the battery box. As you can see, I know very little about this subject......other than I know I don't want or need to spend any more money than I have to.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #9
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Well I don't sell batteries for a living but I know what I would do. I was shopping around for a Precedent last year with the absolute intention of going to 8v batts when it was time (if I bought the one I was considering but didn't as it turns out). My old DS actually survived 11 years (very unusual - golf course use only) on the 6 x 8v batteries, but the folks in my golf club with early Precedents have never made it to the end of 5 years with their 12's (even those who take good care). So....I'm just sayin'....its all about the value. If your planning to sell, I wouldn't go thru the hassle - but if your planning to keep....

Somebody in that thread mentioned they had the "good" battery compartment which holds 6 batts (2008.5) and thought the upgrade to 8v was virtually free for them. Do you have lights, signals and brake lights? If so, there is a cost and some hassle buying a converter.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:19 PM   #10
tvj503
Getting Wild

I do have lights, horn and turn signals. I've read enough in this forum to see the value of the 8 volt batteries and that's what I intended to go with until today. So how involved would this be? Exactly what's involved in the rewiring? Thanks for your time with this.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car