lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #11
frankthetank
Gone Wild

Default Re: Extending/Raising Aluminum Bar for Canopy

I bought some 1/2" aluminum rod and 1/2" steel square tubing. I couldn't find any 5/8" to try so I will probably wrap the ends with steel tape to make up the difference so it doesn't shift (rattle).

I tested some scrap with attaching to the tubing and the rod. The rod just eats away the tapping screws and goes through the steel no problem.

The rod may need some pre-drilled wholes for the screw to survive.

I may end up going with bolt-thrus....

The self-tapping screws may shift over time? vs. using nuts n bolts?

Hopefully I will get to it over the next few days and maybe post a picture of the results!
frankthetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #12
Jim C
Gone Wild

Club Car

It would be a cleaner look if you could find a square tube to sleeve over.
I would thru bolt regardless.

Find an aluminum fabricator in your area, the pieces you need would be scrap size and may not cost you much if anything. I would sleeve over each end at least 4"
Jim C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:47 AM   #13
frankthetank
Gone Wild

So I initially tried sleeving it. I put steel square tubing into the original aluminum of the cart frame. Then I fitted a 3/4" tubing over that and then finally the matching 1" aluminum square over that. Repeated to attach the top portion of the canopy support bar.

It seemed great in theory but since the sizes were all non matching it would not square to the original canopy support bar (since the golf cart support was not a true "square" and dipped in on all 4 sides).

When I went to bolt it to the support bar it would pull/bite and cause the aluminum square tube to shift off center.

So I ended up just squaring it by vise and using flat bar brackets, self-tappers, and a couple bolts.
Seems really strong though. Need to slap some black paint on it to clean it up a bit.

Once I get the overhead rear speakers and the overhead front shelf and mirror back on it will probably be hidden anyway.

I attached some pictures for reference.

Thanks guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canopy4.jpg (112.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg canopy5.jpg (108.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg canopy6.jpg (43.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-28-2014, 07:06 AM   #14
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

make it bolt through so that you can remove the roof or lower the roof to get into the garage , somewhere i saw a hinge kit that made the top adjustable so that lifted carts could fit into the garage for storage , im thinking that could easily modded to add that 6 inches
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:13 AM   #15
frankthetank
Gone Wild

I actually raised it exactly 6 inches. It clears the garage with about an inch and a half to spare.

I also raised the seat a few inches (better on the knees). Not sure if u can tell by the picture. It's painted black. Simple square/rectangle wood frame sits snug into the frame that the cushion sits on now.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #16
frankthetank
Gone Wild

I just re-did the step/foot rest (now weight bearing). I ran a couple 90 degree steel bars from the hitch and also 2 (T-ed) underneath the wood and attached with Tee Nuts. Put 2 loop hooks on the frame of the bed to support the rest of the weight by chains. Very solid now and was quite simple to do.

Finally mounted the hood latch on both sides of the bed to help avoid the clanking when driving over bumps.

About ready to paint the extension and step modifications.

Got the overhead speakers back up too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cartstep1.jpg (131.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cartstep2.jpg (146.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cartstep3.jpg (238.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cartstep4.jpg (114.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg hoodlatch.jpg (79.9 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car