lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
TylerGoFast
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery cable from motor to controller

Hi all new member here. I've upgraded all the wiring to 4 gauge except the two wires running from the controller to the motor. Reason being I can't find anybody that has 4 gauge eyes with the female disconnect end. Any help would be appreciated. I just purchased a 400 alltrax controller with heavy duty solonoid from carts unlimited. I also purchased a 6" lift with 12" wheels and 22" tires and a back seat that folds flat that's diamond plated. 1999 ezgo txt 36 volt dcs going to be pretty cool when I'm all done I hope
TylerGoFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery cable from motor to controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerGoFast View Post
Hi all new member here. I've upgraded all the wiring to 4 gauge except the two wires running from the controller to the motor. Reason being I can't find anybody that has 4 gauge eyes with the female disconnect end. Any help would be appreciated. I just purchased a 400 alltrax controller with heavy duty solonoid from carts unlimited. I also purchased a 6" lift with 12" wheels and 22" tires and a back seat that folds flat that's diamond plated. 1999 ezgo txt 36 volt dcs going to be pretty cool when I'm all done I hope
Sounds like you are trying to run 4Ga cable to the field windings. The studs on the motor are labeled either S1/S2 or F1/F2.
There is no need to use 4Ga for those two wires. They only carry a max of 30A with a DCX controller, so 10Ga or 8 Ga is sufficient.

I use stock field cables on mine.

BTW: If it isn't quick enough, add a seventh 6V battery.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
TylerGoFast
Not Yet Wild

Thank you that's what I figured. Ya f1 and f2. Installed the controller and solenoid tonight and clocked it with 3 people at 20mph on stock tires with 4 gauge wires. I'm hoping for 25 mph with 22" tires. How much boost would a 42v give me? 48? I think the solenoid and 400 amp alltrax is rated for 48... I'm just scared of buying a new charger! Haha... Thanks for the response.
TylerGoFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:01 AM   #4
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ScottyB sells DPI chargers for a great price.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:16 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerGoFast View Post
Thank you that's what I figured. Ya f1 and f2. Installed the controller and solenoid tonight and clocked it with 3 people at 20mph on stock tires with 4 gauge wires. I'm hoping for 25 mph with 22" tires. How much boost would a 42v give me? 48? I think the solenoid and 400 amp alltrax is rated for 48... I'm just scared of buying a new charger! Haha... Thanks for the response.
With less weight aboard your cart will have a higher top speed, since weight increase rolling resistance.

At 20 MPH on stock tires (18") and stock (12.44:1) differential gears, your motor is spinning at about 4650 RPM and mathematically, with 22" tires at 4650 RPM, the cart should go nearly 24.5 MPH, however the 22" tire can have a far higher rolling resistance than the stock tire, so the mathematical speed increase may not be realized, in fact, it could actually be slower.

You will lose about 20% of the torque available where the rubber meets the road by the 20% increase in tire diameter alone and if the 22" tire is the low pressure type with an aggressive tread pattern, highly flexible sidewalls and a soft rubber compound, the rolling resistance will be high.

Basically the "tires" having the best rolling resistance coefficient are the steel tires on trains that run on steel rails. The worst are the tires used on dune buggies driven in soft sand.

It depends on where and how you drive your cart, but for max speed and range, pick the highest max inflation pressure rated tire with a tread pattern only as aggressive as needed.

Same is true with tire height. Unless ground clearance is needed, 20" tires can be installed with out lifting the cart body for tire clearance.

For example: 20" road tires will give you 22.3 MPH without reducing the cart's stability by lifting the body and the torque loss is only 10%, so it won't slow as much going uphill. Adding a seventh 6V battery will then kick the speed up to 26 MPH, a 16.7% speed increase.

----------
The DPI Accusense charger sportcoup mentioned, goes into a float charge mode after the regular charge cycle finishes and keeps your battery pack at 100% SoC, so it doesn't matter if you use your cart every day or only once a week, or once a month, you always start out with fully charged batteries.

Basically, my cart is connected to my DPI charger when it isn't moving.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:49 AM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

JohnnieB is spot on with his tire remark. You can\should check your tire pressure often. (Just like you should do with your car\truck or whatever vehicle you drive. Air pressure makes a huge difference in gas milage on those too.

The correct air pressure will give less resistance on pavement or gravel or dirt. If your tires are under inflated they will cause more resistance and thus, less top speed.

On a personal note, my cart is for hunting so speed is not an important factor for me. Torque is a very important factor. (Climbing hills and getting thru mud) Traction and quality tread on tires is also important. But I will say I find it pleasantly amusing that as I read thru the post, when guys buy carts, they seem to eventually evolve into the "hey....how can I get more speed" question".

Of course, then we find the brain trust here that will gladly help out. (That's JohnnieB, ScottyB, and the rest....all lurking to spend your cash to help the economy....and make you happy at the same time!! What a great web site!!)

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:10 AM   #7
Hecky50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Newbie here, this is a great web site. If I only could figure out what the hell JohnnieB was talking about!!
Hecky50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecky50 View Post
Newbie here, this is a great web site. If I only could figure out what the hell JohnnieB was talking about!!
If you do, let me know. I have trouble figuring out what I'm talking about also.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecky50 View Post
You have to build and wear one of those aluminum hats. Post a pic. You must wear it for a minimum of 7 days. Even to bed. Yeah....true!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO