lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
Carter01
Not Yet Wild

Default Charger wiring

I have an 84 EZ GO, 36volt. I've never had a charger and have been borrowing a friends 36 volt EZ GO charger to charger my cart. I was given a Club Car charger model 11340 solid state charger. The unit says 36 volt but has the crow foot plug, I purchased the correct end, but I'm not sure of wiring. The cord from the charger has a white wire and black wire coming out. My question in a nut shell is can I use on my cart and secondly which wire is the positive. I believe the black is but don't want to cause damage to charger or cart. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Carter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charger wiring

In AC wiring Black is always positive, (black is death). The white is neutral and the green is ground.

Here is a link to some CC schematics:
https://www.google.com/search?q=club...I&ved=0CCcQsAQ
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

On golf cart chargers, the output wires white is positive and the black is negative.

Most newer club car chargers don't have a control board as it's in the golf cart. I don't know about the one you mentioned. Just something to think about if it doesn't work on your ezgo.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:25 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Dc plug end -> White = +, black = -. 36v clubcars dont have obc. This charger will be perfect for your needs.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
Carter01
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies. I opened the charger to look at its internals and all the black wires go to a block that has a fuse that is visible thru a glass window on the front of charger and the white goes to a block with other white wires attached to it. Two replies were white is (+) and one reply is for black is (+). I'm kind of confused on why the black wire if it is the (-) why it would be fused. I appreciate the input
Carter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #6
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The fuse can be in either the pos or neg wire. Either way is correct.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter01 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I opened the charger to look at its internals and all the black wires go to a block that has a fuse that is visible thru a glass window on the front of charger and the white goes to a block with other white wires attached to it. Two replies were white is (+) and one reply is for black is (+). I'm kind of confused on why the black wire if it is the (-) why it would be fused. I appreciate the input
Some of the confusion is due to people speaking about the color of wire used in AC wiring and others speaking about the color of wire used in DC wiring, plus the mystical reference to a "Positive" wire in AC wiring.

In 120VAC wiring the is no Positive or Negative, only "Hot", Neutral and Ground.

Neutral (aka the identified conductor) is White.
Ground is either Green or Green with Yellow stripe.
Hot is typically Black, but can be any color other than White, Green , Green with Yellow stripe.

However, inside the case of an electrical device, the color code isn't always followed.

The last time I read NFPA-70 (The National Electric Code), which was prior to my retirement five years ago, the was no color code for 2 wire, ungrounded DC circuits, however by tradition Black is Negative and Positive is typically Red or White.

Attached are schematics for what I suspect your charger is. The first has two wires in the output and the second has a third wire for external battery sensing.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

For two wire polarized plugs, there is a ridge on the neutral wire, if it's a flat plug cord. For round ones, typically I see black as hot and white an neutral. This is for the plug cords only. Non-polarized plugs may or may not have this ridge, since it can be plugged in any way. On a polarized outlet, the wider blade is neutral and the smaller blade is hot.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO