lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
BAILEY331
Not Yet Wild

Default Is this Charger dead???

I walked into the shop yesterday to a strange smell. After looking all over I discovered it was coming from the charging unit plugged into my old EZ Go. It had been charging for about 7 hours. I opened the charger up and found dirt dobber heaven. I cleaned it all up to discover the problem. There is a cylinder inside the charger with two red wires going to it. The cylinder has ruptured towards the top and leaked out some kind of fluid. I thought it might be acid but it didn't bubble up when I cleaned it with some baking soda. My question is can I fix/replace the ruptured component. or is this charger dead in the water. Any help is always welcome. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140606_195853.jpg (204.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20140606_195902.jpg (201.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20140606_195845.jpg (186.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20140606_200015.jpg (147.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20140606_200022.jpg (186.3 KB, 0 views)
BAILEY331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Is this Charger dead???

That is a capacitor. Just read the label and get an equivalent motor RUN - not start - capacitor with the same or higher voltage rating, and the same capacitance, which is microfarads. Could buy one the same size to use the mounting bracket, but this isn't necessary, it you don't mind doing a little fab work to mount it.

Be sure to short the two terminals together with a screwdriver - wear safety goggles. It could still hold a charge even though it's ruptured.

It's kinda like a little battery. It can hold a lethal - or at least painful - charge. Once discharged, it's safe to work on. If you're anal, once you discharge it, wrap a wire around the two terminals, as they sometimes "recharge" just a little.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
BAILEY331
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the direction Yurtle. I would have shocked myself for sure once I when to pull it out.

Looking on the web (golf cart king and a few others) none of the capacitors give any info on on whether its a motor "Run" or "start". How will I determine this? These two I'm listing have different mf (?micro farads? I'm guessing) ratings but I'm not sure what mine it. Is this a common problem once a unit gets older. I mean I'm getting older and blow things out all the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140607_123644.jpg (183.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20140607_123703.jpg (201.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #4
TheOldMan
Not Yet Wild

A rub capacitor is in a metal can, and is a low value, usually 50 to 30 ufd. A start cap is in a plastic can, and is higher value, 185ufd etc. Look at the old cap closely, it should have a value stamped in the case, something like 25ufd@370v. Take it with you and go to an electric motor shop or an airconditioning supply house. if it's stamped, they'll sell you a new one.
TheOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
crash test dummy

the first photo is the one you want ... cartking only sells things that work in carts ...
Quote:
Capacitor. 20.5MF rating. For older Lester 36-volt.
btw , it's the one i used when my old timer charger stopped
Old 06-08-2014, 06:10 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
A rub capacitor is in a metal can, and is a low value, usually 50 to 30 ufd. A start cap is in a plastic can, and is higher value, 185ufd etc. Look at the old cap closely, it should have a value stamped in the case, something like 25ufd@370v. Take it with you and go to an electric motor shop or an airconditioning supply house. if it's stamped, they'll sell you a new one.
I should have said that. Really old start caps were waxed paper. I still have some in my capacitor drawer, sitting next to my electrolytics, pulse, and mica transmitting caps. I have a separate box fulla run caps, since I have so many.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:27 AM   #7
BAILEY331
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm glad its a fixable thing. I was afraid I was going to have to go get a whole new charger.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

It is fixable, but the capacitor has to have the correct µF or it won't work right.

If at all possible, read the µF value on the old capacitor and get the same number.

With the transformer leads disconnected from the diodes, you should get 60VAC between them without the capacitor connected and about 90VAC with it connected. If the capacitance value is wrong, the boost will be wrong.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #9
BAILEY331
Not Yet Wild

And I can do that with my multi tester JohnnieB
Old 06-08-2014, 05:48 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILEY331 View Post
And I can do that with my multi tester JohnnieB
If it measures AC volts, yes.

The test is labeled Transformer test, but you are also checking the capacitor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transformer-Capacitor test - Text.JPG (176.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Transformer-Capacitor test.JPG (66.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO