lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
jetfan1950
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery post melted. Bad Battery?

My 2001 TXT PDS was intermittently stopping (loss of battery). I checked all battery connections and they were tight. I had not gotten around to checking the switch connections for a loose connection as suggested by JohnnieB in another thread when the cart stopped for good. My wife got towed home and as I check the batteries, the negative terminal of battery #6 (BL- being battery #1) is melted (see attached pics). Voltage for the pack is 1 volt. Voltage across Bl- to the + terminal of battery #5 is 32V. Now the voltage from BL- to the "-" terminal of battery #6 is -5V. This the other end of the cable from battery #5's positive terminal which was 32V. The cable itself ohms out OK. So it looks like battery #6 is toast but I guess I'm not understanding the voltage readings. The voltage across #6 itself is 6.4V. I have another cart and can swap in a battery to test but I'm concerned about the original cause of the problem (don't want to toast another battery). Could the intermittent issue have been caused by a faulty battery?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart8.jpg (212.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart5.jpg (168.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart3.jpg (164.0 KB, 0 views)
jetfan1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
financethis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery post melted. Bad Battery?

the terminal melted because it got hot, it got hot because of resistance from dirty terminal or connections.
here is a post on how to fix it

voltage on each battery should be in the 6.2 to 6.4 range and any thing less and those batteries are not in good health.

for the 1v battery, I would say its dead.

attached is voltage chart

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...melt-down.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoC%20Chart.JPG (66.2 KB, 0 views)
financethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
crash test dummy

an over tightened nut can cause the bolt to loosen in the lead and it will melt

i had it happen to me

Old 07-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by financethis View Post
the terminal melted because it got hot, it got hot because of resistance from dirty terminal or connections.
here is a post on how to fix it

voltage on each battery should be in the 6.2 to 6.4 range and any thing less and those batteries are not in good health.

for the 1v battery, I would say its dead.

LOL
Old 07-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I couldn't totally understand what your voltage measurements were, but believe you may have reported that battery #6 had reverse voltage on it.

For starters, you should pitch all those wingnuts for the cable connections and replace them with stainless steel nuts so they can be properly torqued (loose connection caused your melted post !!). I think you can repair battery #6 (melted post) by applying a studded post terminal to the post, which still looks sound. You can then charge #6 plus the battery next to it with a 12 volt charger to bring the total of the two up to 12 volts. After that you should charge the whole pack fully with your cart charger.

This should get you back to a point where you can test to see what you have
(total pack volts, individual batt. volts, road test). If battery #6 was reversed it may have a lower capacity than the rest. You have a lot of "suspicious looking additional wiring" to your battery pack which may not be helping the health of your batteries.

Report how it goes. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
rib33024

If and when you tow a PDS cart ALWAYS put the TOW/RUN switch in TOW to pull the cart home, you can burn up the controller and the motor if you tow the cart in RUN
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
jetfan1950
Not Yet Wild

I did have my wife put it TOW mode prior to the actual tow. Each battery measured 6.2 to 6.4 volts individually including #6 which had the meltdown. I had checked all the connections a few days prior but no torque check. I will convert away from the wingnuts. I am also purchasing a 12V battery for the accessories which include lights and a radio (not currently attached at the radio side). Just weird voltage readings that I don't understand. If I measure from the B+ side (#6), I get 6.4 volts across #6 but when I measure from the neg terminal of #5 to the Positive term of #6, I get 25V (instead of 13 v as expected), and then I get 18V from neg term of #4 to pos of #6. It seems as if I can get a good voltage measurement across the terminals of #6 but not through #6 when measuring the pack.
jetfan1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Just read each battery one at a time. To measure the pack you can check at the charger port, or follow the white and black wires from the charger port to the batteries and measure there. No need to measure more than one, except for a whole pack reading.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:15 AM   #9
kb1sxv
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I picked up a battery for free with a melted post. I didnt have to reweld it either. There is nothing wrong with my battery at all :) middle left post
kb1sxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:19 AM   #10
kb1sxv
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfan1950 View Post
My 2001 TXT PDS was intermittently stopping (loss of battery). I checked all battery connections and they were tight. I had not gotten around to checking the switch connections for a loose connection as suggested by JohnnieB in another thread when the cart stopped for good. My wife got towed home and as I check the batteries, the negative terminal of battery #6 (BL- being battery #1) is melted (see attached pics). Voltage for the pack is 1 volt. Voltage across Bl- to the + terminal of battery #5 is 32V. Now the voltage from BL- to the "-" terminal of battery #6 is -5V. This the other end of the cable from battery #5's positive terminal which was 32V. The cable itself ohms out OK. So it looks like battery #6 is toast but I guess I'm not understanding the voltage readings. The voltage across #6 itself is 6.4V. I have another cart and can swap in a battery to test but I'm concerned about the original cause of the problem (don't want to toast another battery). Could the intermittent issue have been caused by a faulty battery?
Id go for the next post now that fits the clamp style term,
kb1sxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO