lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
Blackbeard
Not Yet Wild

Default Dc reducer in a pds

I am installing a DC voltage reducer in my stock 2002 36 volt ezgo pds golf cart along with new batteries. I occasionally run a stereo/cd player and front and rear lights. I want the votage reducer to turn off with the key switch So it does not constantly draw off of the batteries and to extend the life of the reducer. The instructions say to run the yellow wire from the reducer to the positive terminal on the key switch is this correct on a pds ? My key switch has two white wires connected to it. Any one else done this on a pds? Thanks
Blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
cdressel
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Dc reducer in a pds

On my stock 2000 PDS, I run a voltage reducer off the key switch exactly as you described. The yellow wire to the key switch turns the voltage reducer off when the key switch is off.

Turn the key off and open the switch panel. Run your meter from the battery pack negative to each terminal on the key switch. One terminal will give you 36+ volts and the other will not read anything. The terminal that reads zero volts will read pack voltage when the switch in turned on. This is the terminal to connect the yellow trigger wire to.

Hope this helps.
Chuck
cdressel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
Blackbeard
Not Yet Wild

Talking Re: Dc reducer in a pds

Got everything installed new batteries, dc voltage reducer fuse block. Everything works great. Only problem is the reception on the fm stereo. Whenever I give the golf cart throttle the stereo cuts out. Anyone else experience this with there pds cart? From what I am told the controller causes interference. Is there any thing I can do to reduce interference from the controller? Would moving the antenna help? Thanks
Old 07-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Is the dropout limited to FM, or does the stereo drop out using other sources such as FM, CD, Bluetooth, Aux input, etc.? Is the dropout constant or just a few seconds during acceleration and during heavy climbing?

Mine drops out everything during really hard acceleration. That's an easy fix using a capacitor and diodes. They are sold for car audio equipment.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
Got everything installed new batteries, dc voltage reducer fuse block. Everything works great. Only problem is the reception on the fm stereo. Whenever I give the golf cart throttle the stereo cuts out. Anyone else experience this with there pds cart? From what I am told the controller causes interference. Is there any thing I can do to reduce interference from the controller? Would moving the antenna help? Thanks
No. Take a portable radio and run some tests. It will pick up the same noise. The voltage reducer and the controller both interfere with radio reception.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:05 AM   #6
Blackbeard
Not Yet Wild

Reception comes back if I hold the peddle on the floor and when I let off the peddle. Cuts out when I first take off and does not come back until I am wide open. Cd does not do this only radio. Yurtle where do I get capacitor/diode and what type? Thanks for the replys!!
Old 07-26-2014, 06:21 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Try accelerating very slowly, just to be sure. Mine drops out on AM, FM, CD, and Aux in. I'm puzzled that yours only happens on FM. Don't want to fix the wrong problem. Many FM receivers mute interference, so we can't rule that out yet. Just for kicks, try it on AM as well. Also, try running at a steady speed at less than WOT.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Take a portable am/fm radio and run some tests. If it picks up the noise when you accelerate the RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) is being generated in the controller and radiated into the air. I tried to solve RFI on two carts (A PDS and a series) over time and I never was successful. I decided there was nothing on the radio worth listening too to spend anymore time trying to solve it. Some Voltage reducers also generate RFI. Capacitors or diodes may reduce RFI but they would have to be connected on the wires coming form the controller as close to the controller as possible. I tried some clamp on ferrite beads around some wiring which seemed to reduce the amount of RFI but they did not eliminate it.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:11 AM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

My suggestion about cap and diode was to solve voltage drop, which I have. I don't really have a problem with FM interference.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:59 PM   #10
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
My suggestion about cap and diode was to solve voltage drop, which I have. I don't really have a problem with FM interference.
That is why I suggested taking a boom box or equivalent and seeing if it picked up the same noise in the vicinity of the cart.. I understand what you are suggesting with the diode and capacitor and I have no problem with that either.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO