lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
Newbie22
Not Yet Wild

Default Solenoid problems

At the trailer and don't have a multimeter with me to check voltage but I think I may have a solenoid problem.....
Cart won't move, fully charged battery's. When I step on the gas the solenoid clicks but cart won't move unless I tap the solenoid, then it jumps. Is it safe to say without using a multimeter that the solenoid is buggered?
Newbie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Solenoid problems

It would be safe to suspect the solenoid. Make sure the wires on the big terminals are tight. With no voltmeter you might try replacing the solenoid. There should be a pre charge resistor across the two big terminals. Does it get hot when you press the pedal? If so that would be another reason to suspect the solenoid contacts are not making. If the resistor is missing that would point toward a solenoid with splattered contacts.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
Newbie22
Not Yet Wild

Yeah there never has been a resistor on this old thing. I found a solinoid I can try , 40 amp should be heavy enough?
Newbie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #4
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I would recommend replacing the solenoid with a new one designed for golf carts and installing a resistor at the same time. You can try the one you have if it has a 36 volt coil but I don't think 40 amps is heavy enough. Any solenoid you use is not going to last long without the resistor. The resistor eliminates the sudden current inrush to the controller when the solenoid clicks by keeping the controller charged.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
TennBill
Not Yet Wild

I'm replacing the old resister board in my 36v '89 Marathon. Where does one get the resistor for the solenoid? Are they voltage related? Mine didn't have a resistor either.
TennBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
TennBill
Not Yet Wild

I just looked at the 'Vintage golf cart' site. They show a resistor, but it says it's for carts with electronic speed controller. I'm guessing, then, The old board type doesn't need one?
TennBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:32 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Correct
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #8
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Some old carts may not use the resistor. If cart has a electronic speed controller it needs a resistor. Some carts use different value resistors. A 36 volt cart generally uses uses a 470 ohm ten watt resistor.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Some old carts may not use the resistor. If cart has a electronic speed controller it needs a resistor. Some carts use different value resistors. A 36 volt cart generally uses uses a 470 ohm ten watt resistor.
correction:
A 36v system uses 250-280 Ω resistor and the 48v system uses a 470 Ω precharge resistor. We generally use the 470 Ω resistor in the 42v system.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #10
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
correction:
A 36v system uses 250-280 Ω resistor and the 48v system uses a 470 Ω precharge resistor. We generally use the 470 Ω resistor in the 42v system.
Thanks for correction.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO